icon

obtaining a dealer license

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stuntinonabusa 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2008 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

so i have recently been considering getting back into the car audio field, but on a limited basis.  for you shop owners, what was required to obtain a dealer license??  ive had this thought of starting out with jsut nav systems and sat. radios and if all goes well expand to other fields such as decks, speakers, etc.  i am particularly looking to work with dealerships to supply customers of new car purchases with some aftermarket equipment backed by the dealership.  of course i would do the installation if they requested it, but with most being plug and play units i doubt much installing will be required. 

what do some of the suppliers require as far as minimum orders, store frontage, etc???  i am just in the planning stages now and looking for any advice you shop owners are willing to throw out..

thanks for reading!!!

if at first u dont succeed........ lower ur standards
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2008 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry man, but if you are asking this question, you do not know enough to make this profitable. With that said,

You need to get a "sellers permit" also called a resell permit. I think you can do it online now, when I got mine, you actually had to go to the county clerks office. they will give you exact instructions on what is needed.

for most distributors, a resell permit # is all that they need. Some require a small opening order, most transshippers don't though. IF you want to go factory authorised, usually 2500 will get you in with no dicsounts, IF they are accepting new auth. dealers in your area. This will usually get you about the same price as eBay.

Remember, car dealers are looking for new ways to make $$$, so do A LOT of reasearch, as they may already have an expiter doing what you are thinking about. so you would have to provide it better, cheaper, or quicker with less hassles than they are getting it right now.

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  

Every manufacturer is different from the standpoint of opening orders and dealer requirements.  Every state is different in reguards to how you obtain a business licence.

BUT all dealerships are the same. They typically want the best product, for the least amount of money......and they want it yesterday! Be ready.

And yes...... the interweb will eat you alive. Everyone can get "this" and "that" for less money somewhere.

Smaller used car lots are much more understanding, and flexible. Start there.... get used to the car dealership attitude and mentality.

Try and get into the finance and insurance office... these guys are the last people on the lot, that the customer deals with, and if they don't sell somethin, they go hungry and can't

get the kids new shoes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic