icon

hooking up an extra battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Would this be the proper way to hook up an extra battery? and will the power still be suffcient with using the distro block?
hooking up an extra battery -- posted image.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

That's alot of fuses. =)

This is a technically acceptable way of wiring your car up, but you will probably find some dead batteries fairly quickly - you really can't wire two different batteries - or the same batteries of different ages - together like that.  Paralleled in that manner one battery will have a slightly lower internal resistance than the other, and that battery will drain the other while the vehicle is off - purchasing batteries of identical design and identical ages does negate this however.

I would recommend you get a second Yellow, and wire them up together in precisely the manner you've drawn up above.

Have you purchased that first yellow yet or what?  They're might be some more cost effective solutions - what are you running off this charging system anyway?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
so all those fuses are necessary? Also im going to be running about a 2500 watt system. And I know i will upgrade my ALT when i get the chance! But for now its just batteries. So if i get a yellow top under the hood and in the back it will do good?
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
I was also told i should fuse each 4 gauge power wire after the distro block. Since my amps dont have a fuse
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

mazzasec wrote:
so all those fuses are necessary?

Naww - but with two batteries its probably a good bit of prevention.  Fuse (or circuit break) within 18 inches of each battery - IMO this is all that is really needed.

mazzasec wrote:
a 2500 watt system

This can mean alot of things.  What amps are you going to run?  Link to the product pages.

We might be able to design you a passable charging system much more cost effectively.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
An even better way, as I see it, would be:
1: Two identical batteries, even age. NEVER parallel different types or ages of batteries.
2: Instead of running from the from battery to the back battery, run from the front battery AND the back battery to the distro. You can save yourself a fuse and fuseholder, AND minimize connections between the alternator.
3: This will also allow the batteries to power the amplifiers equally, due to the minimization of connections between the front and the amps. Twice the current capacity, without straining either battery. Longer battery life.
Other suggestions to come as the thread fills out.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

heamphyst wrote:
2: Instead of running from the from battery to the back battery, run from the front battery AND the back battery to the distro. You can save yourself a fuse and fuseholder, AND minimize connections between the alternator.
3: This will also allow the batteries to power the amplifiers equally, due to the minimization of connections between the front and the amps. Twice the current capacity, without straining either battery. Longer battery life.

I don't understand what you are suggesting here.  How are you telling him to wire it? 

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Like this... One less fuse holder, and equal load on the batteries.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Like this... One less fuse holder, and equal load on the batteries.
I think i see what your saying. So i should run 1/o gauge from the front batt into the distro and then run 1/0 gauge from the back battery into the same distro right? the distro does have 2 1/0 gauge inputs. Also if i wire it your way i wont need an fuses for the 4 gauge?
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Right now I got a Soundstream pca2000d that does 2000 watts at 1ohm and i got a jl e 6450 that does 75 watts x4 at 4ohm
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic