remote start issues ultrastarter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sk8er251cc 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I have an 1271MXR ultrastart alarm system, that worked well for about a month. Recently I went on a vacation and left the car at home. When I got back I was unable to remote start my car (previously I didn't have any issues - before I left). When I attempt to remote start the car keeps cranking but never starts - then the lights flash 7 times (meaning no tach signal). I checked the wire and it is still hooked up.
I then try to put the car in reservation mode. Pull the e-brake, tap brakes twice, horn beeps, lights flash, doors unlock, but now when I pull out the key the car turns off!!! I just don't understand why I'm having issues now, and I didn't have any of these issues after I installed it.
Also, I have a 92 turbo. I hit unlock before remote starting to disarm the factory alarm. Even if I don't lock the car and try to remote start it later - it still won't work. My remote door unlock and lock functions still work.
Any suggestions?
Ben
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried relearning the tach signal?
Cris
sk8er251cc 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
I did, and it worked fine. I then tried to put the car in reservation mode, but when I pull the key the car turns off (it use to stay on until I would get out of the car). Again when I try to remote start it cranks but never starts and I get 8 or 7 flashes.
Ben
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
definately sounds like a tach signal issue. Is your car auto or manual? Is the reservation mode designed for manual? If so I would say that that is working b/c it is still allowing the car to start. I would also check all of your connections.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

its a manual tranny if he has to put it in reservation mode. relearn the tach when the car is starting on a COLD day.

Step 1 - While the vehicle is running, place into neutral and apply the park brake.

Step 2 - Press and release the brake pedal twice. The park lights will flash twice,

the horn (optional) will honk twice and the doors will unlock (optional).

Step 3 - Turn the ignition key off and the vehicle will continue running.

Step 4 - Exit the vehicle and close all the doors. The vehicle will then shut off *.

make sure your door is closed then do the reservation mode.

sk8er251cc 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
I understand how to put the car into reservation mode, but the car does not stay on now when I pull the key out. It use to work but now it doesn't? Any ideas?
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I is not continuing to run because the tach is not learned.
Try reseting the starter, and then reprogram the tach.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
I've only done three manual transmission cars, and two Ultras, but I will try to help if I can.
It would seem like you have two separate problems here, right? One is that the reservation mode appears to not be working properly, and the other is that even when you do get it reserved, the remote start won't work, right?
1. Remote start cranks but doesn't start:
--Just because the tachometer connection looks good, doesn't mean it is. I believe Ultra has a programming mode that lets you "see" your car's tach rate, by flashing the LED or parking lights, right?
So try entering that mode, and see what you get. This will instantly tell you if your connection is good, and if you have the right tach source. There exist wires in the car that are AC, but aren't tach......make sure the rate changes when you rev the engine.
--Leave the window open, the radio switched on, and the heater on high. Try the remote start. Do all of the car's accessories work during the remote start attempt? You could have one faulty connection at the ignition wiring in the car.
2. Reservation mode doesn't work right, engine shuts off when key is removed.
--I know you said it worked right for a month, so it wouldn't seem like you could have gotten the door trigger wrong, but anything's possible.
--What did you use for door trigger? The car's individual doorpin wires with diodes, or one wire that catches all the doors?
--Does this car have any kind of features that control the domelight? Does the domelight have a delay before it shuts off? Does the domelight turn on when you withdraw the key from the ignition? Does the domelight turn on when you unlock the doors?
--The reason I ask all those questions is because the remote starter has to see true door trigger. I already made the same mistake in two late-model cars.............when the engine shuts off, the domelight comes on, killing reservation mode. This doesn't sound quite like your situation, but you could have something similar.
--Did you make any connections at all to the car's keysense wire? I'm just still trying to think of any other way that withdrawing the key could make the remote starter shut down.
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of vehicle is this installed on? I would do a system reset, key on off on off on and hit program switch on antenna. System will chirp to let you know it entered program mode, then hit and hold program switch until system chirps three times. This will reset all features to default and clear tach program. Then start the car and watch the led's on the antenna. If they light, the remote starter is seeing the tach signal. If the car has a theft system from the factory and it is kicking in during remote start, then the remote start will attempt to start and fail, thus giving you the tach lockout diagnostic code. Did you hook up a hoodpin? Also, check operation of dome light from each door. good luck
My rifle is my friend...
sk8er251cc 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Figured out the problem. It was a faulty ground. That is why sometimes the remote start would work, and sometimes it wouldn't. I secured the ground and attached it to a better place.
Lesson learned: if you alarm starts acting up and doing strange things, check your ground!
Ben

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic