mixing fiberglass and hardener

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
corrysmtx 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

hello everyone

I recently started a project in my free time involving making a new rear deck just to remount my speakers. Unfortunatley when i got the 6'9 templates in place and covered the hole thing in notice that my 6'9 holes were not even. Being that this is the first time i have ever tried a project like this i decided that they didnt look that bad an i went ahead and started fg the whole thing. Now heres is where im concernd. I had to use quite a bit of fiberglass for this an i wasnt sure how much hardener to mix it with. Now the bottle of hardener i was using had a split in it so i decided to poor all of it in figuring that since i didnt know the proper amount to mix that more hardener would prbly be better than not enough. So i went ahead and brushed it on my cloth. About twenty minutes later i went over to see how it was doing the leftover fg in the container was already setting up pretty solid and when i touched the container it was very warm. But the fiberglass i spread onto my project wasnt setting at all. Do you guys think i did something wrong or am i just worrying for no reason?

1 12" mtx 9500 4ohm dvc 1 8100d and 1 1501d almost loud enough to cover the sounds of my car dying.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
to much hardenr will actually make the project take longer to dry and cause a bigger chemical reaction this making the fiberglass weaker.
if what was used in the cup is drying that eventrully the fabric will dry.
if the item is inside the car. start your car and blast the heat it will help the effects. and ps if your in winter climate it will take longer for fg to dry unless you ise a hardner that is for winter.
one other main factory on using resin is the quality resin. if you buy resin from a bondo brand or some thing from either home depot or a auto parts store that is the worst resin to ever buy.
if you want better resin for another project that is extremely fresh and very reliable. dont hesitate to call me at select products jon
1800-458-6063 or any sales person.
our resin and hardner are very fresh as appose to the stuff you would buy from others
resin believe it or not has a shelf life and if it has been sitting around a long time it will not dry in proper time.
but it will usually finally dry.
that is the major problem with homedepot resin and such either dries to fast or takes to long . and over all is 50% weaker than fresh resin.
jon
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
corrysmtx 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Its actually at the shop i work at its guna be sitn there all weekend so hopefully it will dry thank you for you input i really appreciate it. If i start geting more involved in these projects i will definatley look into your stuff

1 12" mtx 9500 4ohm dvc 1 8100d and 1 1501d almost loud enough to cover the sounds of my car dying.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic