insignia overhead dvd player with 9.5

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flashbang 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I want to install a Insignia Mobile Overhead DVD Player with 9.5" LCD in my 2002 jeep grand cherokee without a hard wire FM modulator. Can I input the player rca outs into my factory radio and use the cd mode on the radio to hear the audio?
Also the mounting includes a metal plate. as dumb as this my sound,does this plate go between the headliner and player or above the headliner?
Thanks for any info.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

It would be easier to help you if we knew what kind of vehicle you have.  As far as the metal plate goes, they usually mount below the headliner.  A hole needs to be cut in the headliner, a piece of plywood or some other suitable material placed through the hole and then the metal plate is mounted to that.  Then mount the monitor to the metal plate.    Before cutting a hole in your headliner, play it out in your head to make sure what I am suggesting will work.

flashbang 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
The vechicle is a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
_WEB.pdf">manual NS-D9500
flashbang 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
The vechicle is a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Ok.
I can not link the website manual and I can not edit my post, so here it is.
http://www.insignia-products.com/skins/skin_1/Topics/Documents/07-122_NS-D9500%20[R1]_WEB.pdf
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

According to page 21 through 25 on the manual, the metal plate is to be screwed to the headliner and then the monitor screwed to the metal plate.   I would not feel comfortable having 6 screws going through glorified cardboard holding my monitor to the roof.  I would cut a 4" x 4" square in the headliner, then slide in a 4" x 8" piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood into the opening, so you will have some substance to mount the plate to.

Does your Radio have the ability to control an optional CD Changer?  If it does there are several companies out there that do make Aux in adaptors that can give you an input via the CD Changer input.  Peripheral, Scosche and Soundgate

flashbang 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

According to page 21 through 25 on the manual, the metal plate is to be screwed to the headliner and then the monitor screwed to the metal plate.   I would not feel comfortable having 6 screws going through glorified cardboard holding my monitor to the roof.  I would cut a 4" x 4" square in the headliner, then slide in a 4" x 8" piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood into the opening, so you will have some substance to mount the plate to.

Does your Radio have the ability to control an optional CD Changer?  If it does there are several companies out there that do make Aux in adaptors that can give you an input via the CD Changer input.  Peripheral, Scosche and Soundgate

That how I feel about tthe mounting of the plate, that is why I asked. Your idea seems like a plan.
Yes the radio does have a option for a cd changer.
One more question, page 16 the door trigger wire
in part reads
1 connect power to player then press door button on player.
2 open door then connect red or black trigger wire to door trigger.
what wire am I looking for here? The one that makes the interior lights come on when the door is opened? - or + and why? is this to shut off the player in case one forgets to when you exit the vehicle?
thank again
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

I would assume the door trigger wire is to turn on the domelight on the tv.  They figure you have to mount the unit where the factory domelight is so they put one on the unit, so you will still have one.  Generally the bulb will have constant 12 volts on it and the ground wire is switched via the pins in the doors.

i am an idiot 
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
I just went back and read page 16 of the manual and I can understand your confusion.  It is useless.  Can you see the bulbs in the domelight of the tv?  Can you trace the wires from the bulb? 
jrod83 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2008 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

I would cut a 4" x 4" square in the headliner, then slide in a 4" x 8" piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood into the opening, so you will have some substance to mount the plate to.

I've also seen people epoxy MDF to the roof then just screw into that.....it gives it a little more support from what i've sen

MECP Certified
I am the loudest and proudest member of the Fighting Aggies Class of '11 WHOOP!
SAW 'EM OFF!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic