icon

choosing the right alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silkstream 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

ok well start off with this. Around christmas time i had purchased 2 alarm systems as gifts and with experience in automotive as a mechianic and installing remote starters before i figured this should be cake. i got 2 inwells systems and i couldnt get them to function properly at all. the door triggers were + and the system only detected - so the alarm kept goin off. and the passive arming couldnt be shut off.

now since then ive been researcing what to get that is inexpensive yet programiable and user friendly. i installed a Code Alarm 2way on my truck 3 years ago and i love it but i cant find those anymore. im trying to choose between:

Carvox and Asian Wolf/Skytek 2 way remote start/alarm system or anything on ebay within the $100-$150 range. id like a DEI but im not looking to spend so much on something not for me =P

anyone have any pros or cons on these? or any other sujestions of brand

once i find out what brand to go with im goin to be installing one on a 00 impala, 89 gmc 1500, and a 97 contour.

GregK 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
You get what you pay for and all I'm going to say about your listed choices is you're going to have problems either at the time of the installation or shortly after.
If you don't care how long they last or how much you'll have to mess with them then go for it. Otherwise, spend a little more money and get something that you can install and forget about.
GDK Electronics
Home theatre & mobile electronics installations
Winnipeg, MB
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
couldnt agree with you more gregk. i have installed inwells before, this was a PITA, the installation manual was broken english and some things didnt work accordingly. after a long days work i got it anyways, but i hope i never install one of those again. scytek isnt bad at all, very good units IMO and very good priving on those. they have features of most units but they control has a cheap and crappy feel to them.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
silkstream,
I'm partial to Audiovox product, because that's what I install every day. Good pricing, warranty, installer-friendly. Programming can be confusing at first, and the instructions should be written better, but they're not the worst.
Exactly which Code product did you use? A few years ago they were bought by Audiovox anyway, so you might be able to find something similar under various brand names.
Also, you said you like DEI? They bought out DesignTech, and now the DesignTech stuff is just DEI but with different wire colors and remotes. Maybe the pricing is better.
Regardless, in choosing product I would say these are your key points:
--Buy something popular, so forum members can assist you. If you have trouble figure out what one particular wire does, someone here can easily explain it, if it's something we've already installed.
Think of it this way. If the popular product costs you $20 more than a no-name product, you'll think it's a bargain when you come here with tech questions, and people can quickly answer them.
--Don't buy anything that you can't easily buy replacement remotes for. Note that some manufacturers don't warranty their remotes for very long.......the reputable ones will swap out defective remotes for you.
Regardless, people will lose remotes and want to buy more.......I don't know where you'd get a new remote for the Chinese eBay stuff.
--Try to stick with just one or two brands, so if you get a defective unit, you can just replace the brain......much better than pulling everything out and starting over.
--Some companies only provide one remote instead of the usual two, so make sure to ask.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
I have only dealt with scytek/asianwolf. My fiance has the scytek 5100RS and I have the asianwolf 8000RS. They are the exact same units. Anyways, she has no problems with hers, and I had no problem installing mine. I have had no problems with the unit breaking down. I have had it now for 3 years and totally love it. They are good for their price, reliable, and easy to understand the installation manual, but I will agree that their remotes are on the cheap side and can break if not taken care of. Another thing... You said that your doors are a positive polarity and the unit only has negative. That is simple to fix. You simply just need a relay to change the polatiry.
silkstream 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

i have the code alarm model that is looks exactly liek this, its about 4 years old square shaped and the remote is starting to die now, but i paid 120 bucks for it and i can say its been a nice system. jsut looking for something as good for around the same price i guess. http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productid=13346&langId=-1

i was looking at the asianwolf fm2009 $120 http://asianwolf.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1068694%7C1218565&PRID=1439801 ,

and Carvox GSFK 2300a $130 http://cgi./dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=180215116554&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

audioman2007 wrote:
You said that your doors are a positive polarity and the unit only has negative. That is simple to fix. You simply just need a relay to change the polatiry.

the problem was more that you cant shut off the passive arming

my other choices were gonna be a non 2way  alarm remote start of compustar, or crimestopper

btw your guys have been helping alot, thank u. ive never gotten so many responds in such shot time on any forum. thank you again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic