the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amp failures

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
i have been doing this for a while now and i still wonder about amps. sometimes i get them faulty right out of the box and sometimes maybe i fry them. my biggest problem is when the amp wont come out of protection mode or blows fuses or just quits. what fails in an amp when it isnt 2 ohm stable and you run it in 2 ohms? what's the common failure in amps?
do others have problems too. i hate to say its the electronics and they fail all the time but i know its true. its not like installing them is rocket science.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Usually it's overheated transistors that just short out and take out a few others with them. Generally it does not cost more than $20 to fix an amp if you can do it yourself, but if you have to pay someone, your paying for their knowledge witch is usually worth $100 an hour, I sometimes spend an hour just finding all the fried parts and then another hour locating them to be purchased, then another hour to install and test the amp.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
Usually it's overheated transistors that just short out and take out a few others with them. Generally it does not cost more than $20 to fix an amp if you can do it yourself, but if you have to pay someone, your paying for their knowledge witch is usually worth $100 an hour, I sometimes spend an hour just finding all the fried parts and then another hour locating them to be purchased, then another hour to install and test the amp.

aint that the truth...just made me chuckle... did that saturday after noon hahah having to order the part online...

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
That sure is the truth! The hardest part is finding the parts since everything is tiwanajapanisapora made these days, it's hard to cross reference american made parts.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
dudek38 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
guess what i did the other day. first let me say that i'm not good at rushing. when i do i make mistakes like this. i was installing an amp in a boat that already had speakers ran. i cut the speaker wires halfway down the console going to the stereo, extended them and ran them to the amp. little did i know that i ran the wrong side. the amp output was going into the stereo output. well this was a first and now i can say i did it. its amazing how fast you realize you've made a mistake when you see the stereo smoking, oops
owner of
the florida keys
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

ouch... helps to now where the wires are going too....

:)

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
What amps are you buying that are DOA out of the box?
dudek38 
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
clarion marine apx480.m
owner of
the florida keys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic