icon

remote start w/ factory alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
johnson73801 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
does any one know if dei makes a remote start add on to work with factory alarms. my dad has an 06 chev that is a company truck and would like to put on a r.s. but it already has a factory alam and would like to use the remotes he already has. i also has a friend that would like to do this to his 99 ford. any help would be appreciated.  
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
The determining factor for whether or not an add-on remote starter will work properly is if the keyless entry works when the vehicle is running. The Chevy Pickup you mention works fine the Ford should as well but I can not say for certain without knowing the exact model Ford you are referring to. DEI has a few models that would work fine by using the factory remotes but the 561T would be the least expensive add-on remote starter. You can add this model to any vehicle but if the remotes no longer operate the locks while the vehicle is running then you would have to unlock the doors with a key when running on remote start.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
lsondubz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Well you definitely can retain the factory alarm with the aftermarket remote start, but as stated above, the factory remotes will not work while the truck is running,I would just install a new unit and use new keypads...
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
You would be better off installing a remote starter and having it arm/disarm any factory alarm. The range on most factory remotes is 30 - 50 feet. What's the point of having a remote starter if you have to be that close to start it.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic