the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

window automation using just relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
So after weeks of trying to figure it out about a year ago, I decided to give another go today and see if I could get it to work this time. Well i finally got the relay system down 100%. I havent put it into the car yet (my wife's 06 Liberty), but I tested it using a DMM and with grounding the "aux 4" input I get a + 12volts on the meter, and with grounding the "aux 5" input i get - 12 volts. Which means that it should be ready to go. The only issue I still have is how to set it up so that it shuts off when the window is fully closed/open. Obviously with using the aux outputs, I can simply let go of the button, but as far as timing it goes, Im a litle stuck. I know that the DEI module uses a resistance "shut-off". Does anyone know how I can recipricate that???
Here is my diagram I came up with. I tried to make it as easy as possible, but with 8 relays, its not exacly easy to do.
window automation using just relays - Last Post -- posted image.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Kenny
Edit: dont mind the additional switch/motor.. diodes dont work, so each additional window requires 2 extra relays. Also, when i rewired it following the diagram to double check it, I believe the diodes are reversed (cathode direction)
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Most window closers use safety circuits such as thermal or load sensing as cut -outs or end stops; therefore it would be far safer to use one. Even here I would rather use` a 530t  at $75 than relays, 2 per window for up down.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
PS your diodes are the wrong way round coming from the alarm at least.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

They most likely measure resistance in the form of current.  Since you are switching both the positive side and the negative side you can monitor current through either leg, but it is generally better to measure the current through the ground path.  Do a search on Digikey for a ZXCT1009T8CT, that would be a good starting point.

You would need to monitor this current and compare it agains a cut off value.  If the current through the motor exceeds the cut off value then you would need to shut off the window motor.

This can all be done with digital circuitry, but I would think you would save hours of time and gain quite a bit of control by integrating a programmable processor to control everything.  One processor could monitor the trigger in, current of the motor,  the cut off value, a back up timer just in case, and it could control the relay switching. 

You could possibly save a little bit of time and space by going with some DPDT relays.

Kevin Pierson
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
the one I made i ended up using 5 451m's (adding 1 451m for the second window). due to the whole motor thing, I think I will end up going with the actual part, but I was quite happy with myself knowing that i was finally able to make it.. lol
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
rikyric 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
Most window closers use safety circuits such as thermal or load sensing as cut -outs or end stops; therefore it would be far safer to use one. Even here I would rather use` a 530t  at $75 than relays, 2 per window for up down.

Did I read that right? So I will need four 530t's at $75 a piecewindow automation using just relays - Last Post -- posted image. for two windows?

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
rikyric wrote:

howie ll wrote:

Did I read that right? So I will need four 530t's at $75 a piecewindow automation using just relays - Last Post -- posted image. for two windows?

No. 1 530t per 2 windows.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic