icon

sub keeps shutting off why?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unknown776 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
hi i just installed a 12 inch infinity sub in my car and for some reason it plays then randomly stops. theres a blue light on the amp that stays on when the sub stops.
i didnt add no speakers or nothing just an amp.
i ran my power wire to the trunk and then hooked up my ground. im running it off of my oem head unit and the way im doing it is my car came with a 8 inch sub in the back so i hooked up a scosche line output converter to the stock sub wires then rca's to my amp from the scosche.
my gains are all set right and i dunno what it could be.
and i dunno if this matters or not but this sub and amp did the same thing when i had them in my suburban but the only difference was i had it hooked up directly to my aftermarket head unit.
thanks for the help
dunno it this is applicable but its a 08 honda civic.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like your amp is going into protection mode. Amps will do this for many reasons such as to low a load on the outputs, short circuit in either input or output, voltage problems. If you are running only one sub off your amp, is it hooked up correctly and is your amp capable of being bridged? Does it happen at all volumes? Have you used a volt meter to confirm that the amp is receiving 12 volts when used. At the very least try and change one of two to see if the problem is with either the amp or maybe the sub. Post more info and maybe an answer can be found.
sparky
unknown776 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
umm it dosnt seem to do it at lower volumes yes it is capable of being bridged and i do currently have it bridged. i dont have a volt meter but ill check it out. ill see if advance has one they can lend out...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

What Infinity subwoofer?  What amplifier?

Support the12volt.com
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

What Infinity subwoofer?  What amplifier?

Wonder if DYohn is going for a possible 2 ohm bridged setup problem?

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
unknown776 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok i got some part numbers and i turned it on and yea it only does it at higher volume levels...        the amp is a pioneer gm-3100t    and the sub an infinity 1242w reference series     thanks again..
unknown776 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
sorry for the double post but i couldn't find and edit button..   and the way the sub is wired i think its at 1 ohm all the positive terminals are connected and all the negative one are connected..   and theres an lpf switch on the amp what is that for?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, as I thought.  That amplifier can only be bridged into a 4-ohm or greater load.  If you have your sub connected as a 2-ohm load (both VCs in parallel, which is what you describe) it is too much for the amp and you are overloading it.  I suggest disconnecting one VC altogether.  Only connect one voice coil to the amp so it will operate into a 4-ohm load.  LPF = low pass filter and it should be ON and set to around 100Hz for a subwoofer.  And be sure to set your input gain properly.
Support the12volt.com
unknown776 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks. what if i connected one voice coil per amp channel?
DYohn 
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

unknown776 wrote:
ok thanks. what if i connected one voice coil per amp channel?

Sure, that would be safe too.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic