icon

sub problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2008 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
you only want 1 out of phase is the subs are facing eachother (canceling eachother out when they hit)   correct?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
you only want 1 out of phase is the subs are facing eachother (canceling eachother out when they hit)   correct?

No, actually you want your speakers to be acoustically in phase at all times.  This means in some cases the electrical phase of some may be different, but the key is that the entire system is in phase acoustically.

Support the12volt.com
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
Some very interesting reading about acoustic and electrical phasing written by Richard Clark.
autosound2000 offers some great testing tools and some cool gadgets, I had forget about them.
www.monstercable.com/mpc/stable/tech/A2500_Speaker_Phase.pdf
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
audioman2007 wrote:

Here is a picture of what the box looks like. I have the one on the right out of phase. In a box like this, would I need one out of phase?

sub problems - Page 6 - Last Post -- posted image.

No, this box does not require that one woofer be wired out of phase with the other.   If you had a one chamber enclosure with one woofer mounted in the traditional fashion, and a second woofer mounted with the cones of the woofers facing each other (magnet and basket outside of the box). You would have to wire those woofers out of phase. 

klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

coppellstereo wrote:
I like the use of 'sub' as a verb ...

x2   sub problems - Page 6 - Last Post -- posted image.

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Then how comes when I have them both in phase, I lose bass BUT when I have one out of phase, I gain bass? What I did was wire up sub "A" in phase and leave sub "B" disconnected. I listen to the bass. Than I went and wired sub "B" in phase and listen but lost bass. Then I took sub "B" and wired it out of phase and gained bass. The bass I am hearing is like a flat airy bass, like when you take a sub out of an enclosure and listen to it like that.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

Have you used a battery to pop the speakers to verify the wiring?   You could have the terminal cups wired out of phase.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
It could also simply be that the enclosure is the wrong size or type for the speakers, or is leaking, or you have a bad speaker, any number of other issues.  I suggest taking your system to a pro in your area and asking (paying) for some hands-on help.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 6

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic