icon

planning a/v system for an '06 accord

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crvz 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

I'm in the planning phases of an audio/video install on my 2006 Accord LX.  My intent is to customize the dash and install a screen in the factory radio location, and then stick the radio in the pocket below the factory radio.  I understand the complications of doing this, and I've purchased a used factory radio to work on, as my confidence in success is probably 50/50 right now (there's some concern with relocating the circuit boards behind the radio bezel and retaining full HVAC function... but that's not what this thread is about).  For those that are curious, this ( http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c445401a.jpg) is a stock image of my factory setup.

What I'd like is to have the upper display be a touch screen control for the audio system.  I'm not very familiar with carputers, but I'm not entirely against that type of setup.  My preference, though, is to use all Alpine hardware, as that's what I've currently got, and I'm quite pleased (and maybe a bit snooty, but it's my setup, so why not?).  What I don't know is if one of their screens can be used as a touch control for their headunits, so this may not be very credible.  I could use one of their headrest monitors and then just stick an IVA-D105 in the pocket.  This idea appeals to me because it should be able to retain my steering wheel controls, which would be nice (I hate the idea of having functionless buttons in the car!), and I can add the bluetooth/iPod hook-ups with ease.

Hardware I already have includes mostly just amps and a few speakers.  Specifically; Alpine MRV-F450 4 channel amp, Alpine MRD-M300 mono-block amp, some type-R speakers (though some may be upgraded for the new car), as well as all the install cables.

But I started this thread to seek input.  What I want is simplicity and seemless integration to the factory look and function (like the steering wheel controls).  Navigation is not something I'm dying for, so it doenst havent to factor into the suggestions.  So what do you recommend, and why? 

crvz 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2008 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

Well just to document a few of the things, I ended up ordering an alpine TME-M740BT for the dash, and I'll likely end up with the IVA-W505 in a couple months.  I found a factory radio on the eBay for cheap, so I've been chopping that up as an experiement.  I'm still not certain of my final results, but things are moderately hopeful.  The screen will end up sitting a bit up off the dash, but hopefully it won't look too bad.  Here's more or less what the factory unit looked like (I'd already pulled the LCD off), and where I'm at today.

planning a/v system for an '06 accord - Last Post -- posted image.

Here's the big challenge, this circuit board that sits immediately behind the factory radio bezel.  There's no room to push it back, as it has the HVAC controls on it, so the screen will have to sit in front of this board.  Hopefully the end result won't look terrible.

I'm also going to install a RS , and I ordered the Viper 5900.  One thing that I'm amused by with that... I chose to leave the factory radio power/volume knob in the middle of the dash.  But since I'm not using the radio any longer, it was going to be pretty functionless.  I decided to fix it up to work as the remote start activation input, and it will also light up red anytime the RS is running (simple LED, resister, and relay using the ground when running output from the alarm).  Here's a pic during some testing.

I'm still not terribly certain how well the TME-M740BT and IVA-W505 will work together, so anyone with similar experience is welcome to give me some input.  Thanks!  And I'll try to post some more pictures as things progress.

crvz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Alright, I got a little further along.  I've been working on some other facets of the install mostly, but I did get most of this part finished.  I bought some SEM texture paint to play with, but here is an underexposed picture of where it stands today. 

One problem I had was with the top of the screen and a nice gap, but I got a wood shim and worked it in place.  I imagine once painted it will fill the gap well.

Painting next, then I've got to pull everything out of the WRX and sell that car.  I'm somewhat convincing myself to stick with the Alpine DVA-7996 radio for now, as opposed to shelling out for the W505.  If I had my way, though, alpine would make me a single din DVD player for 2008 (I'd like to use the imprint, HD radio, steering wheel controls, and some other features), but they're not doing so, and there's no rush in making up my mind.  I'd love input, insight, or suggestions, so speak up!

crvz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

Alright, you guys are going to have to express some interest if you'd like the pictures to keep coming!  Here are a few after 1 coat of paint.  I was trying to determine how well it would match the other stuff in the car.  So far, I like it.

And then this is how it looks against the aftermarket radio kit that I got to go in the pocket below this radio.

We got a new pilot (hence another thread I started on this site), and I got all the equipment out of the subaru, so when I get a chance I'll start tearing apart the Accord for this stuff.  Let me know what you think!!

alpine0000 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
wow. that looks incredible! im really impressed.
i also am looking at getting the 505 soon. but fortunately i wont have all that custom work to do to get it to fit.
again though, amazing work!
id like to see some finished pictures of the dash back together. planning a/v system for an '06 accord - Last Post -- posted image.
2015 4Runner TRD Pro
-Viper 5706V alarm/remote start
-Viper DBALL2 Bypass Module
-Valentine One radar detector

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic