need amp for orion h2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

bumpinexploder wrote:
i was thinking about the mtx ta7801. it says its stable at 1 ohm and runs about 1200 rms at 1 ohm. which sounds like a good match up with a 1250 rms sub. what do you guys think?

I would definitely not recommend putting 1200 watts rms on this sub! It would be a complete waste of your money to have bought a driver that is meant for SPL purposes and then feed it with a mere 1200 watts. Besides I have already hooked up an Orion 1200D amp to both the H2 and the new HCCA drivers. Both of these drivers are EXTREMELY inefficient and require massive amounts of power to sound decent. (like 2000watts and up) Oh, it will play with 1200 watts rms, but it will sound like crap.

Don't waste your money on an amplifier that will not properly power this driver and save up for the one that I told you to get in the first place.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
bumpinexploder 
Copper - Posts: 265
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
ok well i am not looking to push this sub as hard as it will go considering i got it for 150 bucks and thats a hell of adeal so im tryin not to just push the crap outta it and blow it. plus i know a pro box builder that is goin to make me a box for it so it wont sound like crap
Pioneer DEH-400UB
Kicker 150.2 mids/highs amp
MB Quart fsa 216 front stage
AudioPipe gd-6001 mono amp
AUDIOQUE SD 15S PREFAB BOX!
C&D Technologies Battery, 1500 CCA, 134 amp storage
149.5 DB's
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

bumpinexploder wrote:
ok well i am not looking to push this sub as hard as it will go considering i got it for 150 bucks and thats a hell of adeal so im tryin not to just push the crap outta it and blow it. plus i know a pro box builder that is goin to make me a box for it so it wont sound like crap

2000watts will hardly blow this sub! (It would probably take double that to blow) You are not close to pushing this sub past it's limits. These are possibly the most inefficient drivers I have ever seen, BUT when you give them the power they desire these drivers can really pound. I have already ran an Orion HCCA 10" sub with 2400 watts of continuous power to it and it did not stress this sub one iota. 

That is great that you are having a good enclosure built specifically for this driver because set up is CRUCIAL to a great sounding system. Unfortunately, if you aren't willing to give this sub the power it requires to sound decent, then you might as well sell it for a profit. (I have done this with many of my Orion products)

Trust me, I know Orion quite well. I've had soooo much of their stuff that I should probably be working for Orion by now! (Or atleast testing for them) They make great products that can withstand a beating for years to come provided you treat your stuff right and have things hooked up correctly. 

Try to keep this in mind: That Orion H2 you have was meant to do one thing and one thing only -- Hit Hard! It wasn't meant to put minimal power to it so it can sound mediocre. If you still don't believe me, then have it your way. I guess for some people, hearing is believing.

bumpinexploder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
well i guess ill just save up for an awesome amp then. but ill prob just go with a orion 2500d. cuz im not payin no 700 dollars for an amp. i just dont make that kind of money. lol
Pioneer DEH-400UB
149.5 DB's
bumpinexploder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
sorry for double post but remember this is the older h2 that ca only handle 1250 RMS not the new 2000 RMS that they have.
Pioneer DEH-400UB
149.5 DB's
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

bumpinexploder wrote:
sorry for double post but remember this is the older h2 that ca only handle 1250 RMS not the new 2000 RMS that they have.

Actually, the older H2 was rated for 2000rms/2500peak. The newer HCCA is rated for 1500rms/3000peak. Keep in mind these are numbers for a ten. Now they rated the 10",12", and 15" models of the H2 all at the 2000rms/2500peak, because they are all primarily close in efficiency and design, just bigger cone area. This is NOT true with the newer HCCA models. The 12" is actually rated for more than the 10" model - 2000rms/5000peak. These numbers sound crazy but are no joke. These subs can certainly handle 5000watts rms at a 3-5 second burp.

Needless to say, this line of subs from Orion was not really meant to fill in some lows while you cruise around listening to the Charlie Daniels band...

bumpinexploder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

im telling you man that this sub is rated at 1250. i know it can handle more but it says 1250 on the box for RMS and 2500 PEAK. so unless orion lied and misprinted this thing is 1250. other than that im not lookin for lows on charlie daniels band music but ive heard some orions with low power amps and they sound fine to me. i think i found an amp i like also. or 2 i should say. i think im gonna go with a directed audio 2400 with 1200 rms so with 2 i should be boomin my charlie daniels loud and clear! lol

Pioneer DEH-400UB
149.5 DB's
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Orion isn't lying, they underate the H2's and the HCCA subs in the instruction manuals. The true rms of these subs is a little higher than written in the owners manual. According to the OM on the new HCCA 12" driver the rms rating is 2000 watts continuous power handling, even though it's more like 2500.

I hope you weren't confused, but I wasn't trying to say that a low power amp will make the driver sound bad. It is the driver that will not sound that great on low power due to it's low efficiency. Two directed audio 2400's should make that H2 sound very nice. Not sure how much you can get those two amps for, but here is a link for a pretty good deal on a brand new Orion HCCA 5000D if you are interested for only $600:

http://cgi./BRAND-NEW-ORION-HCCA-D5000-5000-WATT-MONO-AMP-1-OHM_W0QQitemZ380013550044QQihZ025QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bumpinexploder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
thanks. i found two on ebay brand new for 180 each. and with two year warranty i should be ok. thanks for all your help everyone!
Pioneer DEH-400UB
149.5 DB's
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic