12'' sub opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

wildkar wrote:
I believe it is certainly possible for me to stick with the same enclosure and amplifier and only switch drivers and probably get more decibals than the godly 12w7.

Then this would be a very foolish belief.  I mean - if you really believe this, why did you insert the word 'probably'?

From a strictly technical standpoint, you might see a 1 or 1.5db gain @ a certain frequency - you aren't going to experience some feeling of "oh that's what I wanted" - it just isn't going to change that much - ESPECIALLY if you don't change the enclosure. 

wildkar wrote:
If I had the luxury of going with more "cone area", rest assured I would definitely take that route if it was an option. Unfortunately I am dealing with a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer in which the ported 1.75 cu ft enclosure takes up almost all of that trunk space quite nicely. That is why I am sticking with a single 12. I am not about to take the back seat out and build a wall.

I drive a 03 Impreza.  If I could get 3-1/4 cubes for a ported PAIR of 12's in the trunk - AND have 16 inches left for a nice display for my amps - I can assure - you can too.  Excuses here amount to little more than poor carpentry skills.

wildkar wrote:
yet according to the test results from chad hicks, the output of that sub seeing that low power is quite impressive!

Why don't you model it and find out for yourself how it'd stack up to a 12w7 - I think you'd be a bit suprised. 

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~74558~PN~1

Anyway - you seem to have your heart set on repeating your previous mistake - eitherway, I'm interested, so keep us posted as to how your final results turn out - especially if you get that Incriminator.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
That's great that you can fit that nice sized enclosure in your car, but you would know what I'm dealing with if you seen my trunk! I also have 2 JL amps in the back with an extra battery as well, so 16" is hardly enough free space after the enclosure. Space is kind of tight and believe me my carpentry skills are not too bad. If I needed to make serious modifications and switch the whole setup in the trunk, I could probably fit a 2.5 cu ft box, but that's about the max for that trunk. The rear metal struts under the back panel extending into the trunk will only allow me to go so tall and wide with the box and I can only go so deep so I still have room for the amps and battery in front of the box.... I am definitely getting the Incriminator Audio Death Penalty 12" and I can guarantee that this SPL based sub in the proper enclosure will hit far more than 1 or 1.5 more db than the 12w7. I'm not sure how you think that anything JL makes could stack up to anything SPL based. As stated by another guy earlier, JL is for sound quality which happens to get pretty loud as well. "Pretty loud" doesn't mean it's good enough for SPL. There is a reason why JL Audio doesn't compete in SPL comps;  because they would get killed.
Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
 some sound deadening would help....................
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
without changing the size of your box and at least doubling the power i agree with sedate.  you will not notice that much more of a difference, well you might get 4 or  dbs more right before you BLOW another sub...   i believe that i could easily pull out more space  in your trunk... have you  pulled your spare out et and worked that space into your enclosure.  that would ield at least another .75 to 1 cuft...  i would honestly build a new enclosure about 2.5 cuft or greater or go for sone subs like some 12w6 but two, run off the 1000/1  each sub can fir nicely in a 1 cuft enclosure and would probbly hit hader than you 1 12w7. 
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic