icon

791xv alarm and remote problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maveri9720 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all.  I've had my system installed for a couple years now and haven't had any prob's.  Today, I go to a store, come out and get into my truck (98 Dodge Ram) and when I put the key in to start it, it doesn't crank and I hear all these clicks behind the dash.  I try a couple more times, no-go.  Try hitting remote start, no turnover, couple clicks again, then the exhaust icon comes up on the remote.  Press again to get rid of the icon and it doesn't go away and I get 3 beeps, out of range.  Take out remote battery and put back in, no-go, still have exhaust icon.

Finally, I disconnect truck battery and re-connect and I can start right up with the key.  After that, multiple starts later, no prob with key, but the remote is shot.  Nothing but 3 beeps.  New battery too, still no-go.

Research abit and try to re-program remote, but when I try: open door, key to On, press valet switch 12 times, hold on the 13th, I don't get anything back from the alarm.  When I press the switch once and hold on the second, I get the alarm chirp and LED Flash once and then I press a button on the remote and it doesn't do anything, except give me 3 beeps.

Wondering why I can't delete the remotes from the alarm.  Also, wondering what happened when I tried to start my truck?

Is there a way to isolate the remote?  Don't want to waste money on a remote, when there is another problem.

I checked under the dash and everything seems fine.

Can anyone help me out please?

Thanks. 

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Try unplugging the antenna on the windshield for a few seconds.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
maveri9720 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Tried it and still nothing.
maveri9720 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

I was able to correct the problem and it seems to be working OK now.   Just wanted to pass along what I did, so maybe it can help someone else.

The only thing that seemed to work, was for me to disconnect the antenna for alittle while, as was recommended above.  I plugged it back in, but didn't test it b/c I grabbed the wrong keys when I went out to the truck and I went to the gym for a couple hours.  Came home and tried the remote, with the same 3 beep response I had been getting.  I then removed the battery from the remote and let it sit for a couple minutes.  Re-inserted the battery and let the remote go through it's song and dance and then hit the lock button in one last feeble attempt for the night and to my surprise, my lights flashed and the alarm and remote beeped.

Tried it a couple more times and it works like it did before.  Didn't try the remote start though.  I'll check it tomm, but I'm going to assume it works the same as well.

Hopefully, this was just some kind of glitch and won't happen again.

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I've had similar issues with DEI's two way remotes, including the 791, and newer models such as the 5900. Here's what I have done to fix this.
If you take the remote apart (only if you are comfortable with this) you will see two circuit boards. There are two black connectors between these boards with 4 pins in each of them. I took some electronics wash and cleaned out the contacts. I then re-soldered the connectors on the back of the circuit boards. Reassemble the remote, and it works great.
What I've seen is people toss their keys around and drop them occasionally. When this happens it has sometimes jarred the two circuit boards loose or even broken the solder joints. I've had to try this trick about 5-10 times now, and its worked just about every time. This may or may not work for anyone who has this problem. Just and FYI......
maveri9720 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

That's funny you say that, b/c in my research, I've heard of people taking their remote apart and finding bad solder joints, so I took mine apart, checked it all over, didn't see anything obvious, put it all back together and it still didn't work.

Also, I take great care of the remote b/c I know it is pretty fragile, so it's confusing to me as to why it worked fine, I walk into a store, come out and now it doesn't work anymore.  It'd be different if I dropped the keys and then they stopped working, but my keys are always in my pocket, so that was confusing to me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic