icon

2001 civic window doesn't work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hr220a 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
My workmate has a 2001 Honda Civic Sedan.  The right front window doesn't work from either the driver side switch or the passanger.  Both window wires at each switch rest at ground.  When pressed they switch to open, not 12V.  Neither wire at the motor rests at 12V or switches to it when depressed.  I didn't get to test the motor directly because I couldn't find a 12V battery or anything and I was checking it out at lunch.  All three other windows function fine.  Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the window circuit or any ideas? 
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you're not getting 12v+ to the switch. They do rest on ground normally then one side (motor wire) should stay ground whilst the other side (motor wire) should read 12v+.  First see if you are getting this at the switch, if not fuse or relay, if you are try bypassing the switch, ie 12v+  to one motor wire, ground to other. That gives you a faulty switch at drivers side.
jmsounds 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

best advise check the voltage at the motor connection  desconect the conector and put the two leads of the meter in the connection going to the switch  and press the the up or down  you should see a + or - voltage if not it migh be the whole switch assembly honda has the problem with switches 

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I remember helping someone with something like this in an older Civic.......I wish I remember all the details.
I think maybe the lockout switch on the driver's door went bad? You know, the one so passengers can't roll down their own windows.
Or maybe......I wish I remember more.
But I distinctly remember jumping two wires togeter at the driver's switch, and that fixed it.
I think there's a third wire at the driver's switch that was resting at ground, and the ground dropped out when the window button was moved in either direction.
When I applied power to that third wire, the other window(s) then worked fine. So, I found another wire at the switch that tested as ignition, and spliced them together with a fused jumper wire.
Since I wasn't 100% sure if this wouldn't cause issues, I showed the guy how to pry the window switch back out of the door panel, and I explained that if anything ever acted up, he could just pop the fuse out and the car would be like factory again.
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
I would test the wires going to the motor with a meter. I had a 99 Altima where the driver side window would not go up and all other worked fine. I was not getting 12 volts on the side the rolled the window up. Had to replace the master switch.
MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic