icon

sony cdx gt510 strange electrical issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

I am trying to fix an installation of a sony receiver in my friends 97 stratus. Originally she had a Dynex radio cd/mp3/wma etc, and everything worked fine. I switched it out with the sony CDX-GT510, and everything seemed fine, until the car started up. Any time there is some sort of electrical input, such as turning on your left/right blinkers, the radio quiets down and sound only comes from one speaker (front left). Turn on the lights, same thing, but it comes back on shortly after, wipers also turn it down, and when you hit the brake pedal. And strangely enough, when you pop in a cd, it does it permanently, or until you remove the disc and power off the radio and turn it back on. I have everything connected that I can, to the harness adapter, except for this one light blue wire that the manual says is for ATT, but I dont have a place to connect that on the harness, so i left it alone.

Many of the older names on here might remember me, im no beginner to car audio, by any means, but this blows my mind. I do not understand it. Could it just be a defective radio?

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
i need to know asap please. any input would be great.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
if you have the illumination wire connected disconnect it.  orange  and also orange black
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

chillin420 wrote:
if you have the illumination wire connected disconnect it.  orange  and also orange black

it was connected, i disconnected it. No difference. any other ideas?

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
Did you use a harness adapter, or hack the OEM fixtures off?
The ATT is most likely a cell-phone mute, so that's correct in being left disconnected.
I can't say if this'll be any help, but that's the wiring diagram. Have you confirmed all of your connections with a DMM?
I don't really see anything funky in the diagram that might indicate anything difficult to connect in that car, but what about the stereo? Was it fairly standard in it's connections? The only thing I can think of might be that the stereo has something bad in it. If it isn't too late to exchange it, it might be worth the time to yank it, and swap it.
Looking at the deck's install manual I don't see anything that would bee odd there, either. The only thing I can see is that there is no dedicated ground wire on the car end, meaning that the OEM stereo grounded through the chassis, install screws, and/or the antenna shield.
Where did you connect the Sony's ground?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

always use adapters. Left the att disconnected.

No, i did not check the wires with a dmm, but like i said, it was a swap out from a previous radio i installed in there, and the one i replaced worked just fine.

I really think its just a defective radio. it is sony, so i wouldnt put it past them.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
i install that model a lot where i work and have had many with  a slew of different problems so it could very possibly be the deck
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic