the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how to wire 3 speakers into a crossover

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

steezs wrote:
Yes, thats exactly it but i want to know if i can connect them all to one channel. 

Sure, of course you can.  that's a standard 2-way arrangement.   Like I asked, what are the speaker make/model numbers?

Support the12volt.com
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
i see what he is saying..  and i have the same kind of question also..  i have a pair of 06 alpine 5 1/4 comp and was wondering if i could add a 3" off the tweet input of my xover or will that mess with my xover or my amp? or add a 6 1/2 off the woffer output?
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

chillin420 wrote:
i see what he is saying..  and i have the same kind of question also..  i have a pair of 06 alpine 5 1/4 comp and was wondering if i could add a 3" off the tweet input of my xover or will that mess with my xover or my amp? or add a 6 1/2 off the woffer output?

No, you can't just do that.  Adding a speaker to an existing system will shift the Xover points.  You have to custom design the crossover for the specific set of speakers you want to use.

Support the12volt.com
steezs 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
They are some doodiety pirate speakers there all 4 ohms and i probably wouldnt run over 80 rms on the mids and the tweeter maybe 25 rms max. So basically can I make the custom cross over for each speaker using capacitors and inductors and then parrallel wire them to one channel on an amp? or do they have to each be separated one channel per speaker?
the duce
DYohn 
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

Well, again, if I understand what you want, you are trying to create a 6-ohm or greater load, right?  The crossover design below will provide a generic 5Khz first order solution for two 4-ohm woofers in series and one 4-ohm tweeter.  This will place an 8-ohm load on your amplifier below 5000 Hz and a 4-ohm load above that frequency, which most amps will handle even if they say 6-ohm minimum.  The resisters shown are to build a pad to match the sensitivity of the tweeter to that of the woofers, but I can't tell you what those values should be unless I know what drivers you are using.  So, leave them out for now unless you can get information on the speakers.

I can't guarantee that this design will sound any good, mind you, but it will provide a generic solution that you can try.

2-way_5k.jpg

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic