icon

memphis mcd1500 amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vernonp80 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
i have a memphis mcd1500 watt amp and to 12inch memphis mojo subwoofer the problem that i'am having is the amp keeps clipin and i wire the subs in both series and parrelel and the amp still do the same thing can anybody help me with this problem iam ready to change to another brand of amps also why does the amp get to hot
jthompson
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of speakers dual voice coils? single voice coils?   4 ohm or 2
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
vernonp80 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
memphis m3 mojo dual 2 ohm voice coil
jthompson
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't know they made those in a dual 2 I thought they only did them in dual 4 for the 12". What size are they? Are the the brand new models with black or the older ones with orange basket?
vernonp80 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
they are the old one with the orange basket and they are size 12
jthompson
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
First, do you know how to set the input sensitivity of the amplifier correctly? This is my bet at what's wrong.
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp
Then are you SURE you're in a series/parallel or are they parallel/parallel? P/P would result in a half ohm load.
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22
vernonp80 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
is the input sensitivity the same as the gain if so i have the gain below halfway also i believe i have the subs wire in series i have one wire coming from the positive to the neg side on the sub then pos and neg coming from the sub to the amp please let me know if i'am doing something wrong
jthompson
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Yes gain and sensitivity are the same thing. Get a hold of a digital multi meter and turn her to AC and look for 54.8 volts. I got this from the wattage of your amplifier and ohm load you should be running inserted to this website:
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp
It's kind of hard to completely understand what you said about the voice coils. Take one sub... there should be a wire from the positive on one voice coil to the negative on the other coil ON THE SAME SUB. This leaves one positive and one negative on the coils of the woofer, that's normal hook up to the amp.. positive to positive.. negative to negative. This is a series. Same exact thing for the other woofer. The one wire connecting the coils and the left over positive and negative go to the amp.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
vernonp80 wrote:
is the input sensitivity the same as the gain if so i have the gain below halfway also i believe i have the subs wire in series i have one wire coming from the positive to the neg side on the sub then pos and neg coming from the sub to the amp please let me know if i'am doing something wrong
Whether the gain is "halfway up", completely off, or you twisted the knb off, you can STILL be overdriving your amp.
Check it again...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
vernonp80 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
how i'am  i overdriving the amp if thegain is below half way
jthompson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic