icon

making a noise sniffer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
I think you and I should switch screen names...because its true for me.
I think if i look at it long enough ill figure it out...im just not getting it for some reason...im just confused on why the head is wired the way it is because the center connector is connected to #2 and #3 but on the reader head its connected to what was connected to a ground point when it was connected to the ribbon directly.   and what is a ground point on the ribbon is connected to #2 on the reader head which used to not be a ground.
I think(if you are able to i would appreciate it) if you could explain the flow of electricity it would help me understand it. I think what im not getting is how its wired in series. I know what series is but for some reason im not getting it. I can easily follow the diagram and wire it exactly like that, its just i would like to understand how its working.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2008 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

I am thinking that you will need the extra voltage that wiring the heads in series will provide.  If you are familiar with wiring a set of speakers in series, you know that you have to connect a positive wire from one speaker to the negative wire of the other speaker.  This is exactly what we did here.  2 and 3 were positive and 1 and 4 were the grounds.  As long as this is the only transducer in the circuit, it only has to be in phase with itself.  Just for a convenience when building it I used pin 2 as a ground.  I did that because of it's proximity to the head ground, pin 5.  Since I used 2 as a ground, that makes 3 a ground also.  Thus making 1 and 4 positive.  The path of the electricity in the first diagram I posted goes as follows.  4 is the positive that is connected internally to 3 which is now a negative,  we ran a wire from 3 (negative) to 1 (positive).  This is the series conenction. 1 is internally connected to 2.  Which is now our ground.  As I stated earlier I reversed the phase of everything in order to have the Head case ground close to the final ground of the 2 individual heads.  I didn't  think you were going to look so deep into it. 

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

I try to 100% understand what im doing before I do it so i can learn from it as well as not go into something bliindI totally get it now; i feel like an idiot for not seeing it.

I will build it tonight and see what happens

Thanks again!

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well here it is wired up, looks like crap but its 'electrically sound'; i made sure to test everything with my multimeter....but the good news is that it works! Thanks!
making a noise sniffer - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
In this picture, ignore the green wire thats connected, it leads to nothing
The finished product
jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

nice work guys! I am curious if were able to isolate the noise problem?

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
well i actually just made it last night and tested it quickly. It does seem to be coming from the ignition wires and distributor though. I will post what I find out soon
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic