icon

black glass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meicalnissyen 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2008 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I've been toying with the idea of replicating my trunk lid in fiberglass since no carbon units are available.
If I make a well finished mold that will not require any bondo on the finished product, and laid that black cloth, worked hard on bubble removal, shot it with some clear, how close to carbonfiber would that look???
anyone?
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Why not mold the trunk lid like you planed and then cover it in one layer of CF to give it the look you want? I think that would probably be your best bet for the CF look.

...don't crush the weasel...
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
  I second the tubbster04!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
When you say "black cloth"... do you mean actual Carbon Fiber? or the material that "looks" like it but is actually fiberglass?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
meicalnissyen 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response.
I refered to black fiberglass cloth, I found a supply for it, but have never used it, so I don't know what the weave would look like and I have no idea what variations in appearance different resins would produce.
CF needs to be heat/vacum cured and is beyond the capacity of the average hobbyist unless you are working with precured sheet, which limits you to uni dimensional bends even with the thinest sheet
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Well this is where you skill comes into play... If you are just going to a cosmetic appearance ONLY... then the black FG will give you the "carbon" look. But it is purely cosmetic.

Black FG is just FG cloth that is dyed. Now if it is a Hybrid cloth, that's a different story... it will have some CF properties but workable like FG.

Where your skill will be involved is in the laying of the cloth. If you can produce a clear enough, smooth enough surface and have hte proper support underneath it, then it will produce a great CF effect. If you do a fair enough job, most people won't notice it. Do a craptastic job, anyone can tell. It's one of those materials that is like a boy-band. "You love 'em or you hate 'em" kind of things. Personally, I like them. ^-^v.

Ganbatte ne!

edit: OH YEAH! I forgot... if you do use BFG, make sure it is the aluminized stuff... that is designed specifically to look like CF. When I first saw it I thought it was REAL. Non-aluminized will work to give you the look, but it may lack the luster of true CF.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

check out these links, I think it will help you see what I'm talking about a little better... The guy that built this ride is just your average joe.... and he layed PLENTY of carbon fiber!

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=920&highlight=my+friends+widebody&page=12

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=920&highlight=my+friends+widebody&page=15

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=920&highlight=my+friends+widebody&page=22

it just goes to show where some time and work can take you.

...don't crush the weasel...
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 wrote:

check out these links, I think it will help you see what I'm talking about a little better... The guy that built this ride is just your average joe.... and he layed PLENTY of carbon fiber!

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=920&highlight=my+friends+widebody&page=12

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=920&highlight=my+friends+widebody&page=15

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=920&highlight=my+friends+widebody&page=22

it just goes to show where some time and work can take you.

I took a look at those pictures, and the rest of the project...
...amazing, incredibly inspiring.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic