honda key chip gone bad?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
timelessr1 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

This is in a 2001 Honda Prelude....

Alarm (Firstech 2000AS) started acting a little strange (one issue was that it wouldnt remote start anymore), so I decided to rip it fully out and upgrade to the CM3000.  After installation, everything worked except the remote start. When I tried testing the remote start from inside the car. the first try using the 555u bypass, it didnt start, then I put a good key in the ignition it started right up. So I figured the bypass went bad. I got a newer 556U and installed it (again using the Status wire as the trigger) and it still didnt work. So i took the cut ket out of the 556u and put it near the ignition...still nothing.  Then I did the same thing with a good key..just putting it near the ignition...and it started right up.  So it seems like the chip in the key being used origianlly just stopped working? Is this common?  Thanks

timelessr1 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Has anybody seen this happen?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
i have never seen a key go bad. you should use a data bypass so you dont loose the extra valet key.
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
agree with tedmond never seen one make sure your 556u has power ground and a GWR input also make sure that the ring is wrap arroun the cylinder a cuple of times
timelessr1 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
It's definetely the key that went bad, and the reason i know this is that when i use another key (one that actually is able to start the car normally) in the 556u the car remote start perfectly. This other key, that supposedly went bad was in the car in a 55u from 2001 till now, so the original valet key worked in the bypass unit for 7 years, and then decided not to anymore. i guess everything is prone to failure at some point...maybe the internal battery to the chip just went dead...just a guess
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
No battery in the key itself.... it is just a passive RFID pellet. You could head to the dealer and see if they can reprogram the key to the car. It may have just kicked it out. Have seen Audis, the odd VW, Fords and Chryslers all decide to drop a key every once in a while. It does happen.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
yea i seen the car loose them also. i dont like this keys. had a co worker stuck at store while on vacation. but luck was on there side that day the jeep dealership was right across the street.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
i have only heard of honda's 04+ have issues when seeing 2 keys around th etumbler, it ends up flashing one key and that key becomes blank.
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have. I've seen PATS keys loose programming I've seen toyota's and Honda's.
"dont ground out!"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic