icon

jl audio's 500/1 and r.i.p.s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
Hey i have a few questions about this amp and its setup.
I am thinking of getting the 500/1v2 amp as well as the JL 10W6v3 sub.
I can only find that they have a dual 4ohm design which would make a 2 or 8 ohm load when hooked up, of course this would be 2 ohms load on this amp.
I see that the THD is .05% @ 4-ohms(according to the website). I have alyways heard that its 'better' to have 4 ohm load because it makes the amp work less hard....but this mixes in with JLs R.I.P.S technology which at any load between 1.5-4ohms it adjusts the rail's voltage so it puts out exactly 500 watts.
My question about having the JL 10W6v3 and the 500/1 is having it at the 2 ohm load. with this technology will it make the sound quality go down at all at the 2 ohm vs. a 4 ohm load?
Also, if anyone has had or heard this combo, how does the sub and amp sound?
Thanks for the help!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
there is no audible difference between 4ohms and 2 ohms. If you can hear the difference you must have robot ears
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
2 ohm or not 2 ohm.
Lots of good information there.
-Justin
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, i will read a bit more on that after work today.
I did read a little and realized that with the R.I.P.S technology I would think that the amp would actually run hotter at 4 ohms than 2 ohms, contradictory of how a conventional amp is, due to the higher voltage being made to run the higher impedance still at 500 watts...this being true(can anyone confirm it?) because at the higher impedance the amp has to up the rail voltages(in accord to ohms law, to get the same 500 watts at 4ohms you need a higher voltage since watts=amperage* which requires more). To up the rail voltages, the inverters inside have to use more current, which makes the amp run "hotter" and "harder" than at 2 ohms.
Thanks for the help so far
teenkertoy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
To answer your first question about sound quality at different impedances, yes it will make a difference. How much and if you can hear it though, that's something else entirely.
This has to do with something called damping, which is the ability of the amplifier to control the motion of a woofer. The damping factor is measured by: woofer and cable total impedance divided by amplifier impedance. The amplifier's output impedance is going to be exceptionally low, and the woofer's impedance will be larger. If you half the woofer's value from 4ohms to 2ohms, your damping factor will almost be cut in half as well (the speaker wire effects this a bit). Then the amplifier has less control over the woofer. Most amplifiers have such an incredibly low output impedance that this does not make much of a difference audibly.
As for RIPS, someone with better knowledge of the system will have to chime in. My understanding is that the power supply will generate more heat when the input voltage from the battery/alternator drops, or if using a 1.5ohm load compared to a 4ohm load. Somebody will have to confirm or deny that though.
-Justin
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  

teenkertoy wrote:

This has to do with something called damping, which is the ability of the amplifier to control the motion of a woofer. The damping factor is measured by: woofer and cable total impedance divided by amplifier impedance. The amplifier's output impedance is going to be exceptionally low, and the woofer's impedance will be larger. If you half the woofer's value from 4ohms to 2ohms, your damping factor will almost be cut in half as well (the speaker wire effects this a bit). Then the amplifier has less control over the woofer. Most amplifiers have such an incredibly low output impedance that this does not make much of a difference audibly. 

Ah, damping factor; a term that seems to be a great selling point on amplifiers but in reality is complete sales hype.  The truth of the matter is that the damping factor of almost all amplifiers on the market is well out of the audible range.  Here's a great tech paper on damping factor: http://www.bcae1.com/dampfact.htm

I've heard the 500/1 along with the 12W6 in several installs and really enjoyed the results.  It is a great combination.  For more information on RIPS you can read what JL has to say on their website here:  http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps_pages.php?page_id=228  And for more information on regulated and unregulated power supplies and their effects, look here:  http://www.bcae1.com/regunreg.htm

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
I will call JL about this.
What I am basically wanting is the best sounding music that I can get out of the JL amp. I am trying to get this impedance issue figured out; i would have it figured out if it wasnt for the RIPS tech confusion. It even confuses me.
any other input is welcomed
teenkertoy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
Yep, totally agree on the validity of damping as a selling point. I was trying to make it clear that it won't make much difference at all, thanks for reinforcing that.
And silentblackhat, best wishes for your install.
-Justin
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

teenkertoy wrote:

Ah, damping factor; a term that seems to be a great selling point on amplifiers but in reality is complete sales hype. The truth of the matter is that the damping factor of almost all amplifiers on the market is well out of the audible range. Here's a great tech paper on damping factor: http://www.bcae1.com/dampfact.htm

I've heard the 500/1 along with the 12W6 in several installs and really enjoyed the results. It is a great combination. For more information on RIPS you can read what JL has to say on their website here: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps_pages.php?page_id=228 And for more information on regulated and unregulated power supplies and their effects, look here: http://www.bcae1.com/regunreg.htm

Hey thanks for the useful info i will definitely check that out.
I am planning ahead of what I will want to get. Right now I am making fiberglass door panels for my components which will take a while so i wont be purchasing sub + amp for a while.
What other subs are recommended with the JL 500/1v2? also are there any other/better amps? i just chose the 500/1 as a starting point because i have heard very good things about it
Thanks again!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
I loved my 500/1. Very nice amp. Very versatile...Of course there are plenty of better amps out there. Just depends on the application.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic