icon

xk04 issue, 03 mercury grand marquis

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
After i got done programming an xk04 to an 03' mercury grand marquis i noticed that the red light on the xk04 module would stay on after the car was running instead of only staying on for a few seconds and then turning the red light off. I did this install on a sat. and tech support was closed. i tested the vehicle over and over and everything seemed to work ok. well, a week later the car is starting and dying. i call up tech support and they say to add a relay to isolate the TX wire from the xk04 from the ignition side of the vehicle. Has anyone had to do this before? Just curious what my odds are that this is actually going to fix the problem. I'm really getting fed up with stupid issues with the whole XK lineup
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
I actually did a Crown Vic where it would run for about 2 minutes and then shut down...the tach signal would decrease enough that the RS thought the car had stalled. If the car starts and runs for some time, that may be your problem.
I think that the relay would probably work like they're suggesting - I'd probably first try swapping the module out, or flashing it with the PKF3 firmware and reprogramming.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
mxxmikexx 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
ok heres what i found, in case anyone cares.
reflashed xk04 with pkf3 module would not learn code
called trilogix said to flash back to pkford 3.0 firmware and add the relay on the TX line.
they explained that without the relay installed the TX line on the xk04 module wont see ground when the vehicle is not running and when that happens the xk04 wont "reset" itself and work the next time you go to remote start the vehicle.
Now even with installing the relay, the light on the XK04 does not turn off after the vehicle is running. according to trilogix they said this is the case sometimes. so far so good, i remote started it over a dozen times .....we'll see if it lasts.
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
mxxmikexx 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
out of curiosity i called trilogix and asked them how will i know which vehicles i will have to add a relay to considering when i first did this install everything seemed to work fine. They told me that they will be issuing a service bulletin and that you may want to install this extra relay to be on the safe side. So basically anyone whos using xk04 modules on ford vehicles, you may want to invest the extra $1 or 2 to save yourself and your customers the hassle of coming back and tearing back into the install.
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I had to do that on a Lincoln Navigator. It was serviced the first time by relearning it to vehicle then it wouldn't work. The second time we replaced the module. The third time I talked to Tech at DEI and they said there was a glitch and the relay would need to be added.
Ever since then, that vehicle has not come back and that was in November or December so that is 5 months with no issue we have heard of.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
From my experience if you change the firmware on the xk04 from PKFORD to PKF3 it would work properly
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
Mike, how exactly did you wire that relay? I'm guessing 87 to the TX wire on the car, 87a to ground, 30 to the TX wire from the XK04, and 85 and 86 to 12v+ and GWR?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Pins 87a and 85 to ground
pin 86 to 12v ignition
pin 87 to TX at vehicle
pin 30 to TX from XK04
TechTips 1908 from DEI
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic