icon

what will recessing amps in box do?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to be making a box for a 1995 supra for 2 8's sealed and I want to mount 2 alpine pdx amps into the box to take up some displacement since theres not much room elsewhere for the amps and my box is getting a bit large...  looking to power 2 ppi pro's with about 600 watts... I'm going more for SQ NOT SPL so once and awhile I wanna be able to turn it up with a good rock song or some rap but nothing like 2k watts and a pair of T1 12's in a 4cu ft vented box... if you know what I mean... what do you think the damage will be?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

Are you talking about mounting amps inside a sealed box????

That would be a terrible idea.

Kevin Pierson
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
There would be no fresh air flow and the heat inside the box would only go up with use of subs. Also too much vibration of amp will create internal circuit board damage to components soldered to the board. I agree a very bad idea if you want your amp to last you longer then a week.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2008 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
No similar to the set up when you first log onto the 12 volt with the 1 woofer and the blue paint last I saw though that was just a pannel that covered everything I'm not meaning literally inside the box just make them have their own recessed area to be mounted to... similar to having amps mounted on the OUTSIDE of an mdf box I mean installers do that EVERYDAY
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 5:48 AM / IP Logged  
Mounting on a box isn't a big deal - any quality amp won't have issues.
Kevin Pierson
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

I' ve mounted amps on boxes several times and no problem yet , and i think as long as the box is braced, well built, and does not vibrate, its ok

joezero 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2008 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
I had a similar setup in terms of wattage, etc. and didn't have any problems with the amps mounted to the box. Just make sure that you have properly secured the amps.
I've done a couple other setups where the amp was mounted to the surface and then a cover was put over top, and they are all still working fine. One of them is 3 or 4 years old at this point.
traviscoots 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
in theory mounting an amp on a box is not a good idea. would you put an amp inside a paint shaker? kinda the same deal, there is alot of vibration coming off your box no matter how good you seal it or build it. feel the side of your rear quarters. it vibrates pretty good right? the idea of not putting it on the box is because the soldering inside can only sustain so much vibration before it starts to wear and its just crappy looking in my opinion. build a rack for it or something. build a tray and mount it under the box. then you still have room to adjust and it  and maybe even some sort of storage pocket or someething. it will look a little more organized. also the tray serves as a dampner for the vibration of the box. thus reducing the internal vibration of the amp. but its your stuff, do what you want.
possibilities are limitless. if you can think it you can do it.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2008 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

KPierson wrote:
Mounting on a box isn't a big deal - any quality amp won't have issues.

Ya.... Remmy does it ALL THE TIME, on unique (not) whiplets..... poor idiot.

dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
If you are dead set on mounting the amp to the box, go to the closest archery shop and ask them for 4 string supressors that mount on the cable guide rod.  Use these inbetween the amp and the box, with the mounting screws going through the hole in the piece.
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic