the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

best setup from a mashup of stereo equip?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
incrediblyrad 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I've collected a large amount of gear, and I'm curious as to my best options in setting up a system. Heres what I'm currently working with, and how it's currently hooked up.
Car: Kickin' Rad Buick LeSabre Custom, 2004.
Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P5900IB
Front Speakers: Infinity Reference 6422RFP
Rear Speakers: Infinity Reference 9623I
Amp: Phoenix Gold XS4600 (Can't find-- I think it's 4-channel 75 Watts?)
I've got the Front and Rear RCA's running into the corresponding inputs on the 4600, and I'm running it in 4-channel with one speaker per channel. I'm not terribly happy with the bass, the high's are insane and I can't seem to balance them well using just the rear speakers (The front have absolutely terrible bass) and want to add a low base option-- I have a 10" Kenwood 600Watt Sub in a box, (2) 6.5" Xplode 500Watt speakers in their own seperate boxes with a Power Acoustics Crossover Network (Whatever the hell that is), and an extra Pioneer 200 Watt 2 Channel amp lying around.
I mostly listen to punk/rock stuff, with some hiphop so I think I'm looking for a punchy low bass sound, nothing with insane low blasts. Can I avoid using the extra amp and still get a decent sound? I still have one Subwoofer out RCA on my head unit, and the amp has one Aux. Output (not Input?) remaining on it, if that helps any!
Thanks a ton for any suggestions.
mad_urban 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
The reason that you are not getting a great deal of sound out of the four infinity speakers is because 2/3-way speakers are not really designed to produce a great deal of bass, even with an amplifier.  The best option for the best sound is to add the extra amp you have and hook it up to the pioneer sub, most likely by bridging it if the sub is at 4 ohms.  You might also want to turn the 4 channel amp to hi-pass only or the infinity speakers will end up getting blown over time.  10" subs usually do provide the tight, punchy bass you are looking for, just make sure you have the sub amp switched to low pass.  This setup should provide you with better sound quality and make your equipment last longer.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
or option 2. Take your four speakers and hook the right side speakers to the right front channel and the left speakers to the front left channel. Then take your sub woofer and bridge it to the rear channels of said amp. Pop out the deck and change your rear set of preouts over to the subs channel. Reset your amp settings and your off to the races. Total time nessasry, approx 30 minutes. You will no longer have fader control but you will at least be able to add the sub without dealing with adding a second amp.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
incrediblyrad 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
I've actually just found the power cord for the pioneer, so i'm going to try both configurations and see what sounds good. Thanks for the quick advice!
tezjet 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
mad_urban wrote:
10" subs usually do provide the tight, punchy bass you are looking for, just make sure you have the sub amp switched to low pass.
Myth that has been proven against over and over on these forums. Please stop telling people this.
Also, whats the logic behind putting the high pass filter on and lengthening the life of component speakers? I have never heard this before so I just was wondering your logic.
Thanks,
Steve
~Steve
1973 Plymouth Duster
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
tezjet wrote:
Also, whats the logic behind putting the high pass filter on and lengthening the life of component speakers? I have never heard this before so I just was wondering your logic.
High-pass filters keep the lower bass frequencies from being sent to component speakers that cannot handle them. Lower frequencies can blow speakers that aren't designed to handle them. Normally though you only get into that frequency range when you're listening to something intentially designed around it (like a bass CD).
Running high-pass filters can also give you a cleaner sound since you're sending the frequencies that the speakers are designed to handle.
Now don't get me wrong, you can blow anything given the right set of circumstances, so don't think that running high-pass filters will solve all your problems!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic