icon

rear speaker wave front doors.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
    I am about to start my deadening in the next two weeks, and would like to know what everyone recommends for breaking up the rear wave of the front door speaker (6.5). I will be buying ensolite (1/8" thick) from Rick (Raam Audio) to place on top of the deadener, will that do okay to break up the rear wave?
Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Not a thing.  Rear wave dispersion shouldn't be a problem unless you are the maker of expensive rippled wave deflectors!  At least, that's my opinion.  Just get the damping adhered to both the outer door skin and the inner panel.  Other than that, I'll mention (although you didn't ask):

Mount the driver onto a solid (MDF or the like) baffle, mount the baffle to the panel.  Seal the perimeters with RTV sealant.  Waterproof the baffle for extra protection against possible moisture warping.  Seal, as well as possible, all openings before putting the interior door trim back on.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
klctexas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
The only problem with mounting the speakers to a solid baffle like wood would be making the piece. My dad has most of the tools, I know he's got a really nice new jigsaw, but my grandfather has an entire woodworking shop in his back yard. So you recommend removing the plastic depth extender and replacing with wood/mdf? I'll probably do that sometime down the line, but right now I just want to get that deadener in and done with.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
"Breaking up the back wave" is not necessary at all.  Deaden the doors with good vibration reduction material and you'll be fine.
Support the12volt.com
klctexas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
     I know the best ones are Dynamat and Second Skin, do you have an opinion on eDead? I was going to go with them for cost reasons. If anyone has had any bad experiences with them, please do tell.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
  I recently read a review on sound deadeners, There was 12 or 14 different products tested cant remember the specific tests performed , but long story short  "B-QUITE" had an overall rating of third place , and had a second place rating of cost per square foot at like $ 1.78  and second place rating of cost per square foot by weight.  I cant remember first or second place, because "B-QUITE" is what we sell and thats what I was focusing on.  "DYNAMAT" was in the bottom half overall.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged  
Enter "sound deadener showdown" into your Google toolbar for reference to the last post.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
klctexas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

I have already reviewed the entire website, I was kind of just asking what you guys personally prefer.

Edit: Plus, the showdown was done back when eDead used asphalt mats, now they are butyl.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic