icon

fix torn rubber surround, digital design sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samsizzle 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Its been sitting in my garage for quite some time. I was wondering if i can repair this on my own, everything else on the sub seems to be fine, its just the rubber surrounding thats torn. Is there some type of rubber cement that I could use or material that I could stick on? I really dont want to get it reconed (shipping 50lbs back and forth + recone price).
thanks in advance for any help.
ok here are the pics:
fix torn rubber surround, digital design sub - Last Post -- posted image.
ripped rubber surrounding:
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
**sorry title was supposed to say Digital Design sub**
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
well a tear can be fixed with a rubber tire patch for a bike. but thats almost half the surround. id say go with some type or perm rubber compound thats flexable. id do the back and front. to be honest getting the rubber redone is really cheap like 30$ im my area. any type of home or car audio place should have a # for you to call and get it fixed.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
its been sitting in the garage for like 3-4-5 years and the rubber just naturally eroded. I was wondering if I could buy the rubber surrounding from some third party site and reattach it or something? Why replace the whole cone when only the surrounding is torn? There has to be some Do It Yourself techniques I could use, like the guy who did his own recone in the sticky on top of this forum... what do you guys think, something an amateur like me can fix?
something like this:
http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/speakerkits.htm
scroll down to the 12' inch surroundings..
advice appreciated..
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
fix torn rubber surround, digital design sub - Last Post -- posted image. i wonder how this would handle a hard hitting sub, i bet its just for minimal home theatre use ... sigh.
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
no i was suggesting just a surround not a whole cone. when i get some time ill see if these guys in my area do internet repairs etc.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, you have a great sub and you are worried about the minor costs involved with shipping it back to the guys that built it to have it done properly......
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
do you guys think i could use this: JL Audio 12'' sub surround repair
thanks for the input..
jmalbright 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
samsizzle wrote:
do you guys think i could use this: JL Audio 12'' sub surround repair
thanks for the input..
I really think, like other members have already suggested, that if you want to save your sub you should send it back to the original manufacturer and have them take care of it properly.
I once had a surround rip on a JL Audio 10W6. I, too, was looking for a quick, cheap fix so I decided to buy a surround repair kit similar to the one in the link you posted. When I received the kit, I found the surround material to be about twice as thin as the original torn one. It was also much smaller meaning that it would have severely limited the subwoofer's excursion capabilities had I installed it. Just looking at the picture of the one you posted, it looks to me that you will have the same problems. Furthermore, it seemed like it wasn't going to be very easy to get it to bond properly. Add to that the fact that I was basically going to have to scrape off the old surround from the cone and woofer body piece by piece, I elected to throw the $20 or so dollars I had spent on the repair kit in the trash.
I'm not sure how much it would cost to send your speaker back to the manufacturer, but I contacted JL Audio about repairing mine and they wanted around $180 so I just sold the woofer and got something else.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic