icon

us composites resin, which one?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys I am wondering what resin I should get from US Composites?  There are a lot but I think I have narrowed it down to 2(correct me if I am wrong on these 2, please). I am looking for a resin that is quality and 'easy' to work with with least amount of shrinkage. Im looking to do "world-class" type of work on my car so im looking for the best resin possible for this.  Right now I need resin for a dash piece i am making to replace the CD player mount as well as im making a subwoofer enclosure/amp rack for my trunk.

Here is the link to the Polyester Resin page at USComposites: http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

1.) 435 Standard Polyester Layup Resin

or

2.) B-440 Premium Polyester Layup Resin

The 435 Standard Polyester Layup Resin is the most likely candidate(again, correct me if i am wrong) because of what I have seen in videos I have watched on youtube and have found on the internet. I say this because the color description for this says "Dark Amber/Green"; this is the same type of color that I have seen in people's mixing cups in the videos i found.

Also, compared to what my bondo brand resin looked like, the resin in the videos looked thin(more 'water-like' if that helps the description), is that correct also?

Another question on fiberglass mat. Will the bondo brand of this work fine? Or are those of different quality also?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
  Either of those resin types will be fine, Me personally i would recommend the use of U.S. Composites brand mat over the bondo brand mat because of better quality.
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks. Ill order some from them then.
Is this resin from US Composites "thinner" than the bondo brand? In videos i have seen, it looks like it is.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

It will vary... I've used resins from many companies including Bondo, USC, etc... they are fairly  consistant in viscosity but 20% of the time they will be thicker or thinner... Temperature affects viscosity a lot too.

In my opinion, they're all the same to me in terms of resin that will be covered, recoated, etc. I know of a showcar that was completely done with elmer's resin and it is winning awards left and right.

In my experience, what it all comes down to is the install itself. Heck one of my cars is painted in Walmart spray paint and most people still O_O it.

Super Street featured a car I think 2 months ago on the COVER whose paint was walmart's cheap white spray paint. (the 98c/can stuff) Looked pretty good to me.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

I just dont want a resin that has the wax in it, it makes it more difficult to lay up more layers. but, for the last layers on the inside, ill use my bondo brand.

Im going to order the Standard 435 in a few days, just a quart so i can see how i like it before i order a lot of it for what i need to do to my car.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic