icon

enclosure, box tuning?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimgustafson34 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
I have been reading alot on here about box tuning,how do i know what my box is tuned to? My box is sealed and  holing a pair of lanzar optiu drive 2ohm dvc 12" subs with a BOSS diablo dd3600 mono amp, it has been built with 1.25 cuft each side with a divider. Box is plain rectangle.
keepin it real!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
Sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosures are not "tuned."  This is a term used to describe creating the resonant frequency of the port or horn in a vented enclosure.
Support the12volt.com
jimgustafson34 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
So your saying i should not use the subsonic filter on my amp then and just use lpf?
keepin it real!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

jimgustafson34 wrote:
So your saying i should not use the subsonic filter on my amp then and just use lpf?

There is no reason to use a subsonic filter with a sealed enclosure unless it is WAY too large for your woofers, or unless you are severely overpowering them.

Support the12volt.com
jimgustafson34 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

Do you know anything about the sound absorbing power of styrofome? I was told to put sum in my trunk to absorb some of the waves....is this true? Also,another question, ..i have  4.5,4way speakers in my doors ,6x9 stock in my rear window ,what should i set my hpf at for optimal sound QUALITY?

keepin it real!!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

1.  If the problem is rattling and noise from the trunk, the answer is damping.  There are several brands, Dynamat for one.  Styrofoam is not a damping material.

2.  100 Hz, due to the size of your front soundstage speakers.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
no wayyyyyyyyyy man use egg crates thats right good old egg crates. stryo wont do dick. but the expandable sealer in a can is great for dbl sheet trunks and doors, and any other spot your damp cant fit in etc.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic