crossover for simple system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mthndz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I am helping a friend install a rather modest 4 speaker, new HU, and new amp setup in a 200 Chevy Malibu. Here are the specs.

HU - Pioneer DEH-P300IB

Amp - Apline MRP-F300 50X4 RMS

FT SP - Pioneer TS-G4642R 4"X6" 20 watts RMS 35Hz-28kHz

RR SP - Pioneer TS-A6962R 6"X9" 40 watts RMS 28Hz-28kHz

Ok, my question is which crossover to use, HU or amp? And what would be a good frequency for the cutoff. I assume the fronts are going to need some kind of HP filtering as they cannot take much bass. And what about the rears? Should I run them on full, HP (lets be real, this is not a sub!), or LP (as a kind of high end muted rear fill speaker?

Oh yeah the crossover specs for the amp and HU are as follows:

Amp - variable 50-100Hz -12db/oct both HP and LP

HU - HP50/63/80/100/125 12db/oct   LP is same frequencies but at 18db/oct

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2008 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
The fronts can be crossed over at 125hz HP and the 6 x 9 can be crossed over at 63hz. You use the HU crossover that way they are controlled at the HU and not the amp so if your friend wants to change the setting it will not be a hard task. If the amp controls it he would need to have the vehicle stopped and access the amp controls and get back in to test and then get back out to re-adjust. So the HU would be much easier way to control that filtering adjustments.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
mthndz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2008 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks techman93, I will try that out and see how it sounds. I wasn't sure if one crossover was better than the other, or if it would even matter in this modest of an install.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2008 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
The difference in crossover is the amp is variable by a pot adjustment. The head unit is set frequency settings that are constant and won't change like the one on amp which is not as precise. You have more control on amp setting because it's variable but the head unit has a higher range 50 - 125hz while amp is 50 - 100hz. I have had good luck with the internal crossover on Pioneer's. If you can't separate front and rear then you can set the crossover for the 63hz setting and add crossover capacitors on the front with a value of around 398 uf (micro farads) for 6db and 281 uf for 12 db to block up to 100 hz.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic