icon

rewiring subs.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wishuponansg 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2008 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
im going to be rewiring my subs from 4 ohm to 1 ohm, is it alright if i use the same wires? this will also be my first sub/amp wiring.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2008 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
I hope your amp is a true 1 ohm stable amp. If not you will either blow your amp or it will go into protection as soon as it powers up. If you don't have an expensive competition type amp I would avoid 1 ohm load. Most amps are 2 ohm per channel but 4 ohm mono bridged unless it is a mono amp that allows for a 2 ohm load.
You hooking up 4, 4 ohm subs. I would run them either 2 ohms per channel or 4 ohm mono with a series parallel configuration.
As far as the wire you use will depend on the power you will be using. normally 16 awg is good enough but 12 awg if it is high power.
18 awg is normally rated to handle up to 100w
so 16 awg will handle more and 12 will handle even more.
Most of the time 12 awg should be sufficiant.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
wishuponansg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2008 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
thats the thing, is SAYS its 1 ohm stable, and ive heard numerous times before that it CAN run 1 ohm stable, but im still kind of iffy. my subs are 4 ohm DVC (2 of them), so i either have the choice of 1 or 4, and ive heard, and was pretty impressed, but i want the 1 ohm power.
wishuponansg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
the amp is a hifonics brutus bxi1606D
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
so run 1 ohm with at least 12 awg speaker wire. I hope it handles the 1600w rms wattage. I hope your subs have the right power rating also. If the subs can accept 10 awg wire, that is what I might use to be safe.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2008 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

Unless you are competing (where even the .36 dB in loss is bad), 16 awg wire will be fine even at those power levels.  The losses will be completely inaudible.  Here's some great information on wire size: http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

wishuponansg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help guys.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic