icon

tips on making it louder

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
theterminator 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so i just got back from my local shop where i had my system metered. Im running an Arc Audio FD1200 thats powering a 15 inch TC Sounds TC-3000 in a 3.4 cu ft box tuned to 30hz. All this is being controlled by an Alpine CDA-9887 headunit. This setup hit 146.2 DBs with the mic in the kickpanel. What are some ways i can make this system reach as close to 150 db as possible.?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Change your tuning making it closer to the resonant frequency of the vehicle.  Probably more like 58Hz (a wild guess.)
Support the12volt.com
theterminator 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
yeah that was my first thought was to change the tuning frequency. Thanks. What kind of gain should i expect if i was to tune it to the frequency of the vehicle?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Depends.  I've seen as much as +6db simply due to tuning.
Support the12volt.com
theterminator 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
wow thats quite an increase. Im definantly going to have to do that. Would you suggest a circle port or slot port?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't matter, whatever fits the box.  And excessive noise from the port is not necessarily detrimental when you are trying to add more tenths of a db.  For SPL, experiment....a LOT.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
theterminator 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
So i thinking a circle port so that i can remove it and tweak with the tuning of the box.
DYohn 
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I recommend downloading modeling software like WinISD and determining the optimum enclosure and geometry before you cut any wood.
Support the12volt.com
theterminator 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. What graphs should i pay special attention too? And should i mess with the tuning frequncy and box size?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic