icon

2000 grand am won't crank

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobcaygeon 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

Recently I bought a 2000 Grand AM with a Bulldog remote start/keyless/trunk already installed in it. I think it's an RS 1200.

The doors and trunk open with the remote, but when I press start, the accessories/chimes/parking lights come on, but the car won't turn over.

I've researched all the wiring diagrams, went through the connections and everything seems in order. The only exception being the hood pin switch which was rusted and stuck -- I cut  off the wire and taped it up so that there no longer is a ground.  

I also pulled the starter output wire off the module and checked for current on the pin. I got 0 volts on the pin when I pressed start on the remote. Obviously this means the module isn't putting current to the starter.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

big sexy lac 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
The hood pin is a safety precaution it must be neutral when the hood is closed to remote start, it won't let you remote start the car because it thinks the hood is open and showing ground.
well?
bobcaygeon 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I just installed a new hood pin switch. With the pin depressed, the accessories/chimes come on in response to pushing the start button, but still no cranking. With the pin fully up, there is no response to the remote. So that rules out the switch.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
It might be the passlock anti theft bypass. Is there a light on the dash that keeps flashing while attempting to remote start? Did you check the remote starter fuses? Test for what the problem is then you will know what to do to fix it.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Here's an obvious one, seeing as you aren't getting voltage on the crank wire....... how are the fuses?????
On the 2000 GM stuff, it will still crank even if passlock is wrong, as passlock is a fuel cut off, not a starter cut off.
Have I mentioned to check the fuses on the remote start?
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
bobcaygeon 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

The car does not have passlock or any other anti theft device.

The only fuses I see that are related to the remote starter are the ones attached to both red constant 12V wires that go into module. The fuses look good and both wires have a constant 12V at the module.

fuzion1029 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
For the record, your car does have passlock.
As far as your problem goes, I'm not very familiar with Bull Dog. But you might need to reprogram tach if it's hooked up. Directions:
Tach Mode - ON
Press and hold the brake pedal. Press and hold Button #3 until the parking lights flash three (3) times. Release. Press
and release Button #4, the parking lights will flash twice. Release the brake, the parking lights will flash three (3)
times. The unit is now programmed for Tach Mode. NOTE: Factory setting is Tachless Start ON.
Tach Learn
To program your unit to Learn your tach signal. Press and hold the brake pedal, now press and hold Button #2 until the
parking lights flash twice. Release Button #2. Turn your ignition key to the RUN or ON position while still holding the
brake, press and hold Button #4 until the vehicle starts. After the engine starts, release Button #4 to disengage the
starter. Release the brake and turn the ignition OFF. After the Tach Learn is complete, the unit will flash the parking
lights once to show that the Tach Learn is now programmed. Now try the remote starter, to be sure there is no over crank
and the unit does crank long enough.
Or turn tach off, which isn't highly recommended:
Tachless Mode - ON
Press and hold the brake pedal. Press and hold Button #3 until the parking lights flash three (3) times, release, press
and release Button #4, the parking lights will flash once. Release the brake, the parking lights will flash three (3)
times. The unit is now programmed for Tachless Mode.
bobcaygeon 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

I turned tach mode to ON.

I tried to do the tach learn but only got as far as turning the ignition to "ON", as pressing button #4 did not start the engine.

fuzion1029 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
This is why you don't buy Bull Dog. I don't know what else to tell you. Sorry.
jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
www.bulldogsecurity.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic