icon

2006 sierra denali navigation?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
capt3210 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra Denali w/Bose. It does not have a factory navigation system right now, but does have the rear DVD and a six disc changer. I have a friend that removed a GM part # 15882766, DVD/Navigation system out of a 2007 GM sierra new body style. I know that it will fit in the double din. I was wondering if any one has tried to wire one of these in. I am not afraid to try it, just looking for some help. I would like to keep the factory equipment working. Thank you for your help.
diagnall 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2008 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
You wont be able to put the 07 into your 06. You have 2 different lan models there. Both units turn on with a data signal from the vehicle but from different lan's and aren't backward compatable. Also the 07 nav is vin locked to the old vehicle and will go theft lock if you install it in any other vehicle. The dealer or anyone with a tech2 computer programmer will then need to flash the unit for the vehicle it goes into and this is your biggest problem. To tell the unit it is going into 06 will not be possible as the 06 has no option for this unit or the wiring to handle it. There is a way to program a different vehicles vin into the 07 to get it turned on but it won't work with the 06 bose amp or changer or video or data signal or turn on (getting the idea here? ). You want a nav for the 06 you need one from a 05-06 and then just add a gps antenna.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2008 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Diagnall is close but not completely correct. The Nav radio from the Sierra pickup won't work for because the Denali's have an amp that is controlled via the Class II data bus. The Sierra pickup's use amps that use a 12 volt trigger to turn on. Unless the Sierra pickup was the Denali version, your Nav radio will power up, but it will never turn on the amp to get audio. Diagnall is correct though when he mentions that a GM Tech II tool is required to set up the Nav radio in the vehicle. It will tell the radio to learn the new VIN. You need a Nav radio out of a 2006 or older Yukon Denali or Cadillac Escalade to work in your Denali. You need the Nav disc and a GPS antenna to make it functional.
sparky
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
2006 Chev - J1850 Class II data buss
2007 Chev- GMLAN single wire CAN data buss.
completly incompatible radios
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic