icon

stock speaker 8ohm, is it ok to put 2ohm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BobyYoo 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2008 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
I want to change my original stock speaker on my Datsun 280zx 1981.
I found out that the original speaker are 8ohm
I bought some infinity reference 4022i that are rated at 2ohm.
Is it ok to install these speakers? I'm using the original factory radio which is a clarion RN-9271 and is rated at 4ohm x 2 or 8ohm x 4. The power output is 10W x 2 or 14W x 2 Max output. Currently i'm running the stock 4 speakers. Is the infinity ohm too low for my radio?? There is no amp involve in this setup. Just plain old school radio with speakers. I do not want to change the radio, i want to keep this car as original as possible.
I have sent an email to crutchfield concerning this and this is their reply:
"The OEM receiver in your Datsun should have no issues driving these speakers. In fact, you should notice quite a gain in performance due to this drop in impedance. The receivers from this time period are actually built a lot more stout than they are today and as a result generally fair better with such applications."
what do you think?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
No. Just like ANY amplifier, there is a minimum safe impedance you can connect to the outputs. In the case of your head unit, that impedance is 4 ohms.
For them to say it's OK... that's pretty irresponsible as far as I am concerned. If they'll tell you it's OK in this situation, they'll tell you anything to keep the sale. I wouldn't do it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
fiberglasslvr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with haemphyst i wouldnt do it
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

You do know that you can leave your radio in the car and add an amp to it?   You will need an amp that is 2 ohm stereo stable, most amps are.  You will also need a PAC SNI-8 line output converter.  That may be hard to find.  If so an SNI-15 will work.

BobyYoo 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

You do know that you can leave your radio in the car and add an amp to it?   You will need an amp that is 2 ohm stereo stable, most amps are.  You will also need a PAC SNI-8 line output converter.  That may be hard to find.  If so an SNI-15 will work.

hmmm i heard those line output are not that great

the best would be pre-out, but this unit does not have. I also heard that we can hack those unit to get pre-out but i dont know how.

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Line output converters are good when you buy a good one. Don't buy those inexpensive ones like Pyramid ones. I use PAC or Peripheral with really good results. I heard about JL Audio coming out with some as well, hadn't tried working with those yet. JL Audio Clean Sweep
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

All that a line out converter does is reduces the level of your speaker wires, to a level that is more suitable to drive an amplifier. It does not add distortion, however if the radio is turned up to a level that the speakers would be distorting, then there will be distortion getting to the amplifier.   Distortion in = distortion out. However with the gain control of the amp, you should be able to reach your desired listening level before distorting the output of the radio.    The SNI-8 I mentioned earlier was PAC's original line out converter. It was designed for use on older non hi-power radios. With the invention of the "Hi-Power" output chips, they then came out with the SNI 15. The 8 was for an 8 watt radio. The 15 was for a 15 watt unit. Which by the way, is all of the power that the 40, 50 and 60 watt X4 radios put out. If you can find an SNI-8 I am sure it will work for you. The 15 may require the radio to be turned up to the level that will introduce distortion into your system.

ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
I think this has been discussed before the resistance on those speakers are around 2.4-2.6 ohms (the infinity's) when you take into account the wire runs and connections for the speakers it brings these speakers up to around 3.2-3.6 ohms which is fine to run on almost any head unit. I have talked to infinity rep's about this at a vendor show and CES and they both told me that they were basically meant to get the most out of factory replacement however they have found that if they are installed in a higher end system with better connections and new wire runs then the resistance is closer to the 2.6-3 which may or may not work on any given source unit.
--->Richard
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic