the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

wierd ground makes car not start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

klctexas wrote:
How do I measure the ground return resistance? So hooking up a fried amp in a vehicle makes it not start? I've never heard of that.

Read the grounding stickies at the top of this forum.  If the fried amp is shorting out your electrical system - or part of it, like the fuel pump due to an improper installation - then it could cause the car not to start.  I suggest you need to get help from a professional since this is apparently a problem beyond your skill level.

Support the12volt.com
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

If the fried amp is shorting out your electrical system - or part of it, like the fuel pump due to an improper installation - then it could cause the car not to start.  I suggest you need to get help from a professional since this is apparently a problem beyond your skill level.

That's what has me puzzled - if the amp was causing some sort of issue that is preventing his car from starting it should blow a fuse.  The car shouldn't not start with the ground connected and then immediately start right up once the ground is removed.

When you say the car won't start what do you mean?  Will the starter crank but the motor won't turn over?  Or does it not even crank?  Also, what happens if the car is running when you ground the amp?

Kevin Pierson
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Yea, I can't explain it either without putting my hands and meters on it, but that is what it seems is happening.  Like I said, time to get a local pro on the case.
Support the12volt.com
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, ran a couple of tests at lunch. The amp works with the car not started. The motor will not turn over, it just cranks and cranks and cranks until I drain the battery. I have not yet been able to test wether grounding the amp with the car running will kill the motor.

The car shouldn't not start with the ground connected and then immediately start right up once the ground is removed.   => This is exactly what is happening.

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
DYohn 
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
klctexas wrote:

Ok, ran a couple of tests at lunch. The amp works with the car not started. The motor will not turn over, it just cranks and cranks and cranks until I drain the battery. I have not yet been able to test wether grounding the amp with the car running will kill the motor.

The car shouldn't not start with the ground connected and then immediately start right up once the ground is removed.   => This is exactly what is happening.

Then, like I said, you need to get someone local to help you.  An automotive electrical shop might be in order.  For whatever reason your amp is shorting out your fuel pump - maybe.

Support the12volt.com
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
I'll try grounding it when the car is running tonight, and then try grounding it to a different spot. If that does not work, then I will seek professional help, as suggested by the professionals!
Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic