icon

old school amp and speakers,

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vap0rxt 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
I've had this box and amp laying around for a few years and I know it worked well about 5 years ago. Speakers were in a ported box, now in a open face box, no ports.
I don't know what the difference is now, maybe it's the new head unit or the way it's wired or just me, but it's not working as planned.
The amp is a Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 (2 x 50 watts, 4 ohms?)
The 2 speakers are MTX Thunder 2000 10" (unknown specs)
10' of 8 gauge power wire and about 24" 8 gauge ground wire, 16 gauge speaker wires in and out of the box all with proper connections. No leaks in the box, it's new.
Here's my problem when I wire them in parallel the amp gets super hot then goes into protection mode. When I wire them just normal wiring it's sounds really weak. I have a new kicker crossover coming by UPS in a few days since I have a lot of treble coming through the speakers even with the treble on the amp turned down. I never touched the gains as of yet, it's in my near future to mess with that.
Would it be safe/right to wire them in a series?
I don't really care if I blow the speakers since I plan to buy new ones shortly.
Any tips or knowledge would be helpful since I'm fairly new to this stuff.
Thanks for your time.
Glenn
Any input on the specs for these speakers would be really helpful if you may happen to know.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
Mono series or stereo, you will still get the same wattage to the voice coils, and the amp still sees the same impedance per channel.
That amp will not do less than 4 ohms mono, hence it getting rather hot.They made more low end in the ported box because being in a ported box there is an efficiency gain of 3db.
Are both woofers in phase?
Still pretty anemically powered.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
vap0rxt 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 4:17 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like I wont have to worry about these speakers, I blew them both either last night or the night before. Pushing the cone in resulted into a very scratchy resistance and what looked like minute smoke, not much of a smell though.
I was looking into getting a Rockford power T400-2 and 2 p2d210's.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic