icon

8 ft ground wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
 the battery seems like the best spot to ground the amp so im thinking of using the battery for the ground, if i do, the wire is going to be around 8 ft long, probaly a little less. is this ok? i read that the ground should be as short a possible,but what exactly is considered short as possible?  should i put a fuse o it also? its for a eclispe 2000 watt amp so i want to do this the best way. also the wire running from the battery to its grounding spot  is alot thiner, like a 8ga wire. that wire is about 18 inches long.  this is going inthe back of an 07 magnum
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
Usually it is not necessary to run a ground lead back to the battery and in some cases it causes more problems than it solves.  Ground to the chassis as close as possible (within 18 inches) to the amp.  Read the grounding sticky posts for tips.  Also, read the Big 3 upgrade sticky for guidance on upgrading the vehicle's electrical system.
Support the12volt.com
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Usually it is not necessary to run a ground lead back to the battery and in some cases it causes more problems than it solves.
I'm just curious, what problems would grounding to the battery cause?
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

It's logical that the larger the ground mass, the lower the resistance. There isn't a cable big enough to replicate the vehicles chassis.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2008 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
Also, DO NOT FUSE THE GROUND WIRE. Ever.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic