disable compustar starter kill w/o remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
titanus_aegis 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I'm considering acquiring a compustar alarm (specifically the 2W900FM-AS), and I like the starter kill function that will not let the car be started if it's hotwired or the alarm hasn't been disarmed. However it worries me a bit too... what happenes if I'm out on a trip and I lose my remote or I accidentally drop it and it breaks or it gets wet or any other problem that disables the remote. Is there a way to disable the starter kill w/o having the remote? For example, I've read in the viper manuals that their starter kill can be disabled if need be by using the car key and pressing the valet button a certain number of times. That's an ass-saver if your remote is damaged.
I'd rather go with the compustar as it supports manual transmission remote starts (the viper only works on automatics), but that potential problem worries me.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

check out the new Responder LE systems from Viper / Clifford.  They are available for manual transmission remote starts.

titanus_aegis 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
I´ve checked both companies´ webpages (www.viper.com and www.clifford.com) and haven´t found any products with the LE designation. Do you know where I can find them?
titanus_aegis 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
NVM, it was in the small print :) such as the RSX3.3
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

All of the alarm systems that I know of have a Valet switch.  The valet switch is used in along with the key to override the alarm if you were to lose the remote.   The valet switch is hidden somewhere in the cabin of the vehicle.  Your salesman or installer should have told you about and showed you how to use it.

megaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

Yep.  Clifford RSX3.3, Viper 5701 or 5202VS (if you like pink), or Python 872.  All of these units have their new Responder technology, and are now available to do Remote Start on Manual or Automatic transmissions.

My favorite feature on the new units is the new "Armed Silent Trigger"  setting.  This is where if someone triggers the alarm, there is no indication at the vehicle that the alarm is tripped, such as the siren going off, or the lights flashing.  However, your remote indicates the alarm trigger by emulating your siren.  So you're sitting inside your house, someone breaks into your car, thinks nothing is up because there's no siren or lights flashing, and a second later you're standing behind him with a baseball bat because your remote indicated something's up.  It was intended to allow people who live in gated communities, that have restrictions on alarms systems, to still protect their vehicles.

dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

To put a compustar in Valet if that happens you just cycle the key the ingition back and fourth 5 times. This will manually overide your alarm.

Its the doodie..

BTW didnt DEI do a recall on ALL those maunal tranmission pieces. I got the email a while back. So yeah. Stick with Compustar bro. By far a better system for your man trans.

the valet mode is throwing 12volts the the ignition wire 5 time in 7 seconds if you want to know how or why it goes into Valet mode. You can't go into it with out via remote or car keys.

"dont ground out!"
megaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yes they did an original recall on all the Responder LE models due to multiple problems.  However, the problems were worked out and now all products shipped by DEI are 100%.  I agree if you are comfortable with Compustar then stick with Compustar.  They make great products.
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Why get anything Viper? They just steal all their "ideas" from Compustar, support the companies developing technology not stealing it from another. Sorry had to vent.
Yes there is a way to disable the starter kill if you lose or damage your remote. Via the valet switch of a cycle of ignition.
Cris
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2008 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

StealthEs wrote:
Why get anything Viper? They just steal all their "ideas" from Compustar, support the companies developing technology not stealing it from another. Sorry had to vent.
Yes there is a way to disable the starter kill if you lose or damage your remote. Via the valet switch of a cycle of ignition.

Ahhhmennn

"dont ground out!"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic