icon

problem with amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
recently i just did a finish on my fiberglass project, and i set up the amps and wiring and speakers.
anyways the problem what seems to be (or heard), was the amps have gone into protection mode. sometimes turning on and off, on they're own.   
only now they wont turn on.
there's more to this and i wanna know whats going on.
SO with that, my wiring and amps i have are.
1 400/4 kenwood amp
1 1000/2 kenwood amp
i have 4awg power and ground running to a capacitor *i know i know, shush*, then i have 4awg power and ground running from the cap to seperate distro blocks, which spreads off into 2 8awg wires on each block, and those are running to the amps.
i have the power and ground on one side of the vehicle and the signal's on the other (of course).
i have my front and rears hooked up normally to the 400/4 amp, to get 4ohms.
then i have my subs which are dual 6ohm subs running to the 1000/2 amp
now, i have had the exact, and i mean exact same wiring as described above, when i had my old system in place and thats been running really well for 2yrs straight.
i believe it might be a blown cap cause i did accidentally touch the pwr and grnd wires together twice ><.
But i hooked everything up and was playing fine for 3hrs straight.
i know i have clean grounds.
i just dunno whats going on here :P
xTimx
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a volt meter?   If not, disconnect all speaker wires and RCA cables from both amplifiers, turn them on and if they still go into protect, chances are the amplifiers have a problem.  You will need to get a volt meter to take some voltage readings.
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
to be honest i dont think the amps are going into protect mode. tomorrow morning what i'll do is disconnect the capacitor then hook up the power and ground straight to the distro blocks and go from there.
if that doesnt solve the problem then i know something serious is going on.
xTimx
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  

xTimx wrote:
anyways the problem what seems to be (or heard), was the amps have gone into protection mode. sometimes turning on and off, on they're own.   
only now they wont turn on.

I missed the only now at the bottom.    You will need a volt meter or at least a test light to troubleshoot your problem.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
As I Am indicates, this problem requires you to have the proper tools and know how to use them to try and troubleshoot via an Internet forum.  I think the best thing you could possibly do is go to a local good audio shop and pay for an hour of time to troubleshoot your system.  It may be a simple matter, but unless you can read voltages we can't help you very much.
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

Also, I notice this little tidbit:  "i did accidentally touch the pwr and grnd wires together twice "

So you were working on the power system with the battery connected?  Tsk tsk, bad thing to do.  Yes, you need to go get help.

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
I just noticed the "It played for 3 hours straight" part.  Is there an AGU fuse at the battery?  If so CHANGE it.  It may not look blown, please change it.
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
alright i checked everything out, turns out the cap was in fact blown, took it out, hooked everything back up and everything is working properly!!   
yes i know how to read voltages and ohms and the such.
xTimx

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic