icon

smoke, fire, what happened?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2008 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Are you saying that you cut the pink / YELLOW and pink/lt. green and connected the wires from your relays to the side facing the driver's door?
Or that you connected the wires from the relays directly to the pink / YELLOW and pink/lt. green without cutting them?
The first case would probably cause a short circuit, since most older reversing polarity doorlock systems are grounded through the driver's side switch. The second case definitely would be a short circuit.
It's really not worthwhile to worry about avoiding the passenger actuator(they are dirt cheap to replace, and it'll be a nuisance the first time you want to get in from that side).
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2008 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

i have to say buddy take the car to somebody who knows what there doing

number two why are you burning up wires

you should be using fuses

rtz549 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2008 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

chriswallace187, I connected the two cut wires to the relays just like in the diagram I linked too.

How did it cause a short and how would one get around that happening?

supersix4 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

That diagram is correct. You are missing something somehow.

You still are not fusing your power wire for the relays - big, big mistake. If you are fusing it, what is the rating?

rtz549 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

I just had the relays connected straight to the "yellow wire" in the column assuming it was fused.

I was using 16 gauge wire, so I image the ~10 gauge power/ground was able to carry that much current; hence the resistance in the 16 gauge wire yielding like it did.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
In the door harness, there is a lovely fused power source for the door locks already. It is BLACK/ white.
87 on both relays to 12V, 85 as well.
87A goes to switch side
30 to actuator side.
86 is negative trigger from starter unit
Sounds like you have switch and actuator backwards. This sounds hack, but this is the easiest way to find switch and motor side. It works 100% of the time, and you definately know which is which. Cut one of the lock or unlock wires (in your case, cut, say the pink/green). Take a fuseholder, put a 15A fuse in it. Put one end of it to the +12V for the locks (why? because it is right there with the other two wires..... no sense over complicating things). Now, you have 2 sides of the cur wire, right? Touch the other side of your fused 12V to one of the ends of the cut. Big spark, fuse blows, you just found your switch, as it rests at ground. Doors lock? You just found your actuator side. 87a on one of the relays goes to the switch, 30 on the same relay goes to the actuator side of the cut. Repeat for the other wire (or, now that you figured out one of them, the other wire is wired exactly the same, using the other relay).
5 wire locks aren't that bad at all...... too many techs overthink them, and in the end cause far more work than necessary for themselves.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic