icon

Fiberglass Door Panel in Progress

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2008 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys im posting pics on how I am making a door panel piece for my 1999 Honda Civic EX 4-dr.

To make this, I am going to be taking off the factory panel piece on the door panel. It's the piece that holds the factory speaker and creates the "pocket" on the door to put junk in.

These are the steps I am going to take:

• 1.) Coat the part of the door panel with mold release wax(many coats)
  • 2.) around the part that I am going to fiberglass, line it with tin foil and tape to hold it on so resin wont get on the other parts of the door
  • 3.) Fiberglass the part that has mold release wax on it, this will create half of the base for the project that rests against the door
  • 4.) make a fiberglass copy of the outside of the door piece that was taken off so you will have the factory and clean look for the outer part of the fiberglass project
  • 5.) join the base part on the door and the fiberglass copy of the outside edge of the factory piece
  • 6.) start adding your speaker rings for woofer cone, tweeter and crossover display
  • 7.) stretch cloth over the piece and resin it and reinforce it with fiberglass mat on the back side
  • 8.) prep the surface for painting or vinyl(most likely paint in this case)
  • 9.) paint or vilyl the piece

Now, thats a very vague list of what i am going to have to do but, ull see throughout the process(pictures will be posted) of what I am going to do. The goal is to make a copy of the factory panel piece(parts of it) and customize it.

This part highlighted in red is what I am taking off and copying/replacing. I actually may use the factory part so i wont have to re-create a lot of it(will save money with materials id have to use to make it) but I will have to bond the fiberglass and plastic with epoxy or other high strength bonding material

Fiberglass Door Panel in Progress - Last Post -- posted image.

This is the piece with mold release wax and foil:

Fiberglass Door Panel in Progress - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic