icon

2007 chrysler 300

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
burns25 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I got an overzealous installer that thinks he knows everything but just knows enough to be dangerous.  So anyway, he hooked up an alarm and decided to not pay attention to the fact that the parking lights are negative through a resistor and just sent 12v to the wire.  All I got from the phone call was that the turn signals are messed up.  Is it safe to say that a new headlight switch will need to ordered or any other thoughts as to what is wrong with it.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

My guess is "no" you won't have to change the switch.

Multiplexed wires which lower the voltage/current through resistors are in reality pull-down. It's pretty obvious that they need to be pulled down from a higher voltage. In most cases they read 8 to 12 volts at rest. I don't have a car to test the "rest state" so it's an assumption.

Let's just hope he didn't tap into the CAN wires which are 3.5 volts max.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

burns25:

Make sure you lecture your installer about attitude......and a multimeter! 2007 chrysler 300 - Last Post -- posted image. And reading a tech sheet.

burns25 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah he got a good lecture for sure.  I actually got to look at the car today and it seems he hooked up the parking light wire from the alarm to an ORANGE / green wire at the light switch.  At least I think it was ORANGE / green the mind is going with age.  The wire tests 12v when the switch is turned on to parking lights and headlights, what it goes to good question.  The left turn signal will only come on for the front and the right will work only on the rear and the front left headlight won't turn on.  I did get the high beam to work, but what he did I don't know.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  

Here's my contribution: Chrysler 300 Lights

It's the complete Mitchell for parklights / headlights / courtesy. It'll help you diagnose and trace.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic