icon

problems with my system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Greymour 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone...  So, I just wired up my new system in my 350Z, and I'm having issues.  At this point, after all the troubleshooting, I can't figure it out.  problems with my system - Last Post -- posted image.

The system is as follows:  Headunit is a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 (upgraded to Z3 firmware), capacitor is a Tsunami X15HCAP-40 (40 farad), the sub is an Alpine SWX-1243D (Type X, 12"), and the amp is an Alpine MRD-M1005 (digital D, mono, 1000w continuous).  The sub is in custom built fiberglass enclosure, with roughly 1.1 cubes.

So here is the problem:  I'm getting very low output from it.  I've tried all the settings on the AVIC, I've tried adjusting the amp.  Tested the cap.  Tried two different grounds.  Nothing is helping.  To get even slightly decent output, I have to set the gain all the way to 0.1.  I'm getting a lot of clipping from the sub too, and it seems to be running hot.  Not terribly so, but hotter than normal I think.  The other thing I've noticed, is that at lower volumes (about 8-10 on the headunit) I'm getting deep, low bass at a somewhat acceptable sound level.  But if I turn up the volume, the sub starts to get quieter, to the point of no bass coming from it at all.  And here's the really strange thing...  The sub is still moving!  It seems to be hitting full excursion, but there is nothing coming out of it.  When I turn the volume back down, I start to hear bass again.  I've tried reversing phase, but that didn't do it either.

So yeah, I'm just really lost, frustrated, and sad.  If anyone has advice, or can help, I would really, really appreciate it.  Thank you all in advance!

Greymour 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  

Oh, I forgot to mention how everything is wired...  The sub has dual 4 ohm coils, and I have it wired for 2 ohms at the amp, using the jumpers included with the sub.  Wire is connected to voice coil 2, as in the diagram that came with the sub.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  
Disconnect one coil on the sub and see if you magically have more bass or not. If you do, one of the two coils was wired out of phase.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I'm with forbidden it sounds to me like you have one coil reversed. I did the same thing on a 12" L7 and it ended up being the last time that sub played so I would check that out ASAP.
--->Richard
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
Greymour 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice guys.  problems with my system - Last Post -- posted image.

I just checked the wiring, everything looks right.  Ohm load is correct at the sub and at the amp.  The wire connections and the VC bridge on the sub itself are right also.  So I don't think its out of phase.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
You think it's in phase, but make sure.  Markings on subwoofers have been known to be wrong.  How do you know the "ohm load is correct"?  Did you take some measurements?  Also, where is your LP filter set?  And please read and follow the "how to set your gains" sticky post, but only after you verify the polarity by doing what was suggested above, and let me know where your LP filter is set.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic