any opinions about directed audio subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2008 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

chillin420 wrote:
the old school xenon subs were actually pretty decent from what i can remember. 

Yeah...I've been impressed with them.  Initially I was skeptical.  I ordered the Xenon sub (450 watts rms) and the PG tech told me that the Xenon 600.1 amp (600 watts rms x 1) would be perfect to push it.  Got it all hooked up and the sub fried in like 3 mos.  Went through a host of other subs ranging in wattage all the way up to 800 watts (Alpine, Audiobahn & Pioneer).  Finally, after all those subs, the tech suggests me hooking up two subs to split the power from the amp (while he also explains that those amps were heavily under-rated and it was pushing closer to 900 watts).   Anyway, I had one Xenon sub from my other vehicle, so I hunted for a 2nd one on Ebay...found it and got everything hooked up and running.  Gladly, I can say it's been running successfully with no problems and MAN...those subs sound damn good.

However, I recently installed some Cerwin Vega V-Max subs (600 watts rms each) in a buddy's Suburban (in a ported enclosure) and he's got a Profile AP2000 pusing them and WHOA!!!  Let's just say his truck is like rolling thunder.  While I don't need THAT much power...I wouldn't mind a sound similar to that.  I think I might be able to achieve it if I change my enclosure from sealed to ported.  On the flip side, I'm scared to give up the SQ my system has right now.

Here's a couple pics of my set up, which is actually temporary. I plan on doing something with fiberglass to give it a molded in look and I want to set it up so the amp looks like it's floating in front of the subs...

any opinions about directed audio subs? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Please excuse the unfinished amp rack...

any opinions about directed audio subs? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic