icon

how to fiberglass? unique whips style?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
layzboy 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 3:47 AM / IP Logged  

About the list reme is on...you might be referring to the one on the show that they were showing off.  Not sure if it's just a promotional thing, but I'm pretty sure he's on the list of the country's Master Installers which is a fairly short list in itself.

mattb21 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
layzboy wrote:

About the list reme is on...you might be referring to the one on the show that they were showing off.  Not sure if it's just a promotional thing, but I'm pretty sure he's on the list of the country's Master Installers which is a fairly short list in itself.

Yeah, that could be it. In the United States there's like 87 or so Master Installers.
But to the OP, I was wondering the same thing. But I figured the same thing that people were saying, they just don't have time in the episodes to actually show Reme finishing up the boxes with fiberglass.
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
lilbenny wrote:
so ive been watching unique whips on the speed channel.. and i was studying how they build their fiberglass boxes..
now watching remy (head installer) if you notice when he makes his boxes he gets the structure and covers it with fleece. then he resins the fleece. after that he applys body filler then sands it out..
is that the correct way? that would save so much time and money but is that layer efficient enough? III thought, once the fleece is resin'd you apply the fg mat/cloth THEN body filler over that..
any input?
I have actually been watching that show more know and I am starting to think that he might no use anything else. Not one time have they even showed a picture of the enclosure in the backround with mat or anything on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Will just doesn't want to spend the time or money going to over the enclosure with mat.
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2008 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
is getting the master installer certification really hard? or do people just not really care to get it?
rival904 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
hottwhyrd wrote:

I PRESENT TO THE JURY THE CASE OF: orlando browns f 550

google orlando brown unique whips and you see plenty of pics of their "quality" work.

Did some digging and couldnt find anything...?

2004 F150 STX 4x4
Eclipse CD3100
(4) Pioneer TS-W3001D4
Powerbass 3XL 6x8
Powerbass 600.4
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

There's an episode, before Will has his painter, when he sends a box out to get painted.  When the painter has the box, he is explaining the process and one thing he mentions is that he has to sand the box down because of the fiberglass matting, then bondo over that and resand, blah, blah, blah.  So this episode shows quite clearly that Reme isn't a douche and uses the necessary fiberglass matting and at least more than one layer.

It all comes down to personal feelings for another shop.  I can speculate all day long what a crappy job my competition in town are doing, but until I have the concrete evidence to support it, then it's just hot air.  Everyone here bases their opinion on the very little information you see on TV.  Do you beleive what you see on TV?  Come on here folks.  Editing is the key.  If you think that the producers show a majority of the work involved then you can also make the judgement that Will never gets paid.  How many times have you seen a client hand over money for payment? NEVER. lol.  Free work is awesome.

I've met Reme, seen his work in real life, at Sema.  And if you think that you can plunk down two 12W7's in a fiberglass box made up of only fleece and resin, without destroying itself, you are a sad, sad little man...er. person.  You have my pity.

I'll look for the episode I was refering to, my boss has all the episodes on his DVR. 

mattb21 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
rival904 wrote:
hottwhyrd wrote:

I PRESENT TO THE JURY THE CASE OF: orlando browns f 550

google orlando brown unique whips and you see plenty of pics of their "quality" work.

Did some digging and couldnt find anything...?

It was actually a 650..
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/4/1635746
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic