icon

high output alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Once I finish the BIG 3, where can I go to find out if they even "make" a high output alternator for my 2004 Hyundai Sonata?
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
look into stinger they should make one or google your car with high output alt.....
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
Metra/Tsunami/HO-Alternators, contact anyone of those. As I understand it, even if they don't have a production model for your vehicle, they will custom build whatever you require. Also MSD has a line of alts that have adaptable/configurable mounting tabs.
04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

found 1 at Rangler, 180amp but it is $499.00     WOW

, and my manual says stock is only 95 amp

04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
one place told me that if I get a HO, then I have to somehow find a way to re-program the computer so that it won't error out because it is expecting 95-110 amps and getting 180,,,,,is this a fact?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
that is absolutly NOT a fact. your alternator, no matter how much the output will only put out what is drawn. in other words, if you have a 95 amp alt and are constantly drawing 100 amps, your alt is only gonna give you 95 amps. if you have a 180 amp alt and only draw 100 amps constantly, guess what?, your 180 amp alt is going to put out 100 amps. an alternator will only put out as much current as whats drawn and what it can produce, they dont just pump out 100, or 95, 180, or whatever the rating is ALL the time. the point of having a high output alternator is not because it puts out 180 amps of current all the time, its because your system is going to draw more now than the puny 95 stock one will produce. your ecm will only draw the current it takes to run it no matter how high of an output alternator you have. if it draws 10 amps and you have a 60 amp alt, it draws 10 amps. if it draws 10 amps and you have a 180 amp alt, it still only draws 10 amps.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

Years ago, before the advent of computer control, alternators monitored system voltage and determined charging rate by that.. charging systems now are often controlled by the ECM. So, while I don't know if your particular vehicle would have a problem with a modified alternator, I'd go with whatever the alternator people told you..

Last charging problem I worked on was some 2000 something Jeep.. 04 or something like that. Battery exploded, new battery & alternator installed, still not charging. I looked at it, researched, and found that the charging system output was controlled by a PWM signal from the ECM.

So, my 0.02 would be to say that I don't know about your particular application, but it wouldn't surprise me if running an oversized alt might throw a 'check engine' light.. here in .us, for over a decade, if you leave the gas cap loose, you'll get a 'check engine' light.

Jim

04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
well my amps should not be pulling enough for that I was only running 600 watts, but still the highs would distort after a while so I diconnected the highs amp and went back to running off the deck, maybe it was because it is a PYLE amp and not really a "good" one.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

MAD, in your case you are right. all jeeps from 98 on route the charging system output "thru" the ecm. on some of these that have gone bad, instead of changing the ecm, i know some people who have just changed the alternator to a self exciting alternator and just connected the output right to the battery.  but in the story you described above it was not the current output of the alternator.  it was the voltage output. on those chrysler vehicles the ecm tells the alternator the charging output voltage not the current.  just in case you were curious.

cobrakilla27 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

go to this site

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/?gclid=CPnllojMt5YCFSMgDQodeE9oLQ

i just bought a 220 amp alternator for my explorer for $215

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic