icon

will this cause a problem for alt?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daburrrninator 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

I have an 08 Yaris Sedan that I believe comes with a 70a alternator. I want to add a sound system to it, but I really dont want to fry my alternator. I dont want anything excessive but I want to double check first. This is the planned system:

Polk DB6501 6.5" Components in the front doors

Polk DB691 6x9"s in the back
10" Infinity Basslink for the bass

The Polks would be running off of one of these 4 channel amps

MTX TA3404 50rms x 4

Cerwin Vega Xl300.4  70rms x 4
Bazooka BA460 60rms x 4
or depending on $$
Profile AP1040 80rms x 4

The Basslink is 200w RMS

Thats all I have planned, nothing else. I dont blast my music too loud all the time, but I do have times when the favorite song pops up that I crank it up then it goes back down. I'm going for SQ on a budget.

Do you guys think thats too much for my little car? I'd hate to need a new alt. in a couple months. Worst comes to worst, I could run the polks off of the HU but I'd like to hook them up to an amp.

basketthis69 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
Japanese alternators can usually handle much more abuse than American ones. I had a very small alt on my integra (can't remember exact size) and hooked up 4 ga wire and was pushing alot of power. Never did the big 3 and never upgraded the alt. In your situation I think you will be just fine. You may want to grab it out and have it rebuilt for higher output at some point though, just to be sure!! But, otherwise, if you're just looking for good, clean sound and you aren't going to be looking to wake the neighbors, you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't overdo it... And make sure you have a decent battery that will hold a good charge. will this cause a problem for alt? - Last Post -- posted image. GL! Hope this helps!!
Installer for life.
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Your looking at around 400 watts which will take about 33 amps. I would figure your alt has about 10 amps of head room when all of the accessories are on. I think you will be pushing it.
menaztricks 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Are the 33amps a constant draw? Or does it vary depending on volume? Thats something I've never confirmed though always thought about.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

I really don't see how the 2 small amps you are planning to use are going to cause you any problems.

reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
It will vary with volume, but it's not max if those are RMS numbers you gave.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with idiot......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic