icon

viper 5900 no warn away?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rubcuev 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

Hi guys, I just got the Viper 5900 alarm installed in my 2007 Ford F250 Diesel 4X4, but there are no warn away chirps  when the truck is tapped.  I haven't heard the warn away chirp a single time. After further investigation I discovered the installer installed the dual stage shock sensor harness backwards.  He connected the green loop side to the brain, instead of the sensor.  After flipping the harness around I still get no warn away.  Can anyone provide any suggestions on what I should check next?

Another question I have is that he did not tap in to the "Diesel wait-to-start" wire, instead he set it on a 15 second timer, which I didn't like.  Now that I've found the correct wire, is there a setting on the alarm that I have to change after tapping in to the wire, or will the alarm automatically cancel the 15 second timer and go by the "wait-to-start" wire?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.Thank You! 

-Ruben

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
Diesel wait-to-start wire isn't necessary, and in fact on many vehicles isn't even possible(the indicator light is controlled via a data signal)...the 15 second timer is plenty sufficient for getting a diesel to start properly. Best to remove the wire and forget about it.
As far as the warn-away, it's really no big deal which way that harness is connected(the green and blue wires both output the same signal from the shock sensor). The more important thing is the shock sensor sensitivity, and where it's mounted. Where is the sensor itself mounted to?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
chriswallace187 wrote:
As far as the warn-away, it's really no big deal which way that harness is connected(the green and blue wires both output the same signal from the shock sensor). The more important thing is the shock sensor sensitivity, and where it's mounted. Where is the sensor itself mounted to?
The way the harness is connected certainly does matter. The "loose" wire in the harness plug should be on the brain side. The "looped" side of the harness should be on the shock sensor side. If you have it reversed, warn away will not work. Once you have it connected properly, you will need to adjust the sensitivity dial. I have always had good success with mounting DEI shock sensors to a thick wire harness with a 14" tie wrap. It needs to be a sturdy harness in the vehicle. Make sure you wait at least 20 seconds after arming the alarm before hitting the truck to test the sensitivity.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm, where are you getting your info in re: the shock sensor harness? I've always been under the impression that the alarm brain chooses warn-away or full siren based on the duration of the signal received from the shock sensor and not on which wire the signal came through.
Agreed totally on tying the sensor itself to a big harness...DEI's sensors don't work worth a damn when mounted to metal.
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm has it right. The loop needs to be on the sensor side and the open wire on the brain.
boosh!!
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
This is how the sensor inputs on DEI systems work.
One wire (the green wire) coming out of the shock sensor is for warn away. If the shock sensor detects a slight vibration it will send a short pulse ( less than .8 seconds ) down the green wire. If the shock sensor detects a big vibration it will send a long pulse ( greater than .8 seconds ) down the blue wire.
If you connect the harness correctly, those wires join together and go to the same input coming out of the brain. The alarm brain determines if it gives warning chirps or full trigger by the length of the pulse. Either way, zone 1 gets triggered on the remote. If you have the loose green wire in the harness connected to another similar sensor ( let's say a 508D motion sensor) it works the same way. Both the green and blue from the 508D are connected to the green wire in the shock sensor harness. The brain determines full trigger or warn away based off of length of pulse. Since it sees the pulse on the blue wire, it triggers zone 2 of the alarm. I have no idea if a Viper 5900 remote reports which zone was triggered, but this is how it works on a Viper 791xv, Python 881xp, etc.
If you have the loose green wire in the harness coming out of the shock sensor it pulses a short pulse on that wire every time the sensor gets a light impact. The wire goes no where, so the alarm does not report the light impact.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
That makes sense...haven't done DEI in a while. It really doesn't make sense to have the green wire loop at all if everything's on the blue wire. Mea culpa.
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Not everything is on the blue wire coming out of the shock sensor. Only full trigger is. The green wire coming out of the shock sensor is warn away. The warn/full trigger outputs are on separate wires making it possible to use the shock sensor with a non-DEI alarm.
I've only done one DEI in about 3 years, but I can still do one in my sleep because I did them for 6 years. I use Compustar now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic